XULA is 16-4 after splitting on the road against LSUA
ALEXANDRIA, La. — Xavier University of Louisiana and LSU-Alexandria split a baseball doubleheader Tuesday. The Generals won the opener 9-4 — that snapped XULA’s 11-game win streak — but XULA collected five extra-base hits in the second game to earn an 11-3 victory.
The teams combined for 26 hits, 26 walks and 13 hit batters. The doubleheader — a pair of seven-inning games — lasted slightly more than six hours.
Eight of XULA’s 17 hits in the doubleheader went for extra bases, including home runs by Tristan Rodriguez and Danny Coleman. Those two lead the team with four homers apiece this season. Six XULA players produced extra-base hits, two apiece by Rodriguez and Co Co Simoneaux.
Simoneaux and Coleman had three RBIs apiece, and Jose Santos had two.
Game 1 notes
• LSUA led 2-0 through three innings, but XULA tied the score in the fourth when Courtland Posey singled home Coleman, then Jeremy Moore’s double-play grounder scored Jose Fulgencio.
• The Generals took the lead for good when Jordan Ardoin hit a two-run single to shallow center in the fourth inning.
• Simoneaux, who began the day as the NAIA leader with 0.94 stolen bases per game, was hit by a pitch in the first and seventh innings — then picked off at first base both times by catcher Louis Morgan.
Game 2 notes
• XULA scored multiple runs in five of the first six innings — two runs apiece in the first, second, fifth and sixth and three runs in the fourth.
• XULA never trailed, led 4-3 through two innings, then pulled away with a three-run fourth that included Simoneaux’s RBI double and Coleman’s sacrifice fly.
• LSUA loaded the bases in the fifth inning but did not score. The Generals stranded 10.
• Starter Nigel Mayfield (3-1) worked five innings and got the decision. Anthony Dumas pitched a scoreless sixth and seventh.
• It was the seventh time this season that XULA produced 10-or-more runs. XULA averages 7.5 runs per game. XULA won by eight-or-more runs for the fifth time this season, all in the last 10 games.
• XULA, playing varsity baseball for the first time since 1960, has played eight doubleheaders this season. XULA swept five, split two and got swept once.
• XULA will play host to Mississippi University for Women at Wesley Barrow Stadium in a three-game series. They’ll play at 4:30 p.m. Friday in a nine-inning game, then a noon Saturday doubleheader — two seven-inning games. MUW was 14-4 entering a Tuesday home doubleheader against Stillman.
• XULA will join LSUA in the NAIA’s Red River Athletic Conference, effective July 1.
- < PREV No. 15 LSU slips past Louisiana Tech, 6-4
- NEXT > Win streak continues for No. 14 Cajuns Softball following successful night in Huntsville