West St. John easy choice for top spot among New Orleans area Class 1A teams
Coming off of a state championship, West St. John appears poised to repeat as Class 1A state champions in 2018.
Of course, there will be stiff competition from the likes of Kentwood, Haynesville, Jonesboro-Hodge, Logansport and Oak Grove, among others.
The Rams have 13 starters back from last year’s title team. Junior quarterback D’Andre Gaudia improved during the season last year and will be better. The dynamic duo of Kylan Duhe and Niko Roy is a tremendous one-two punch in the running game. Junior Trenton Grow should be huge at wide receiver. The defense has seven starters back as well, led by Roy. Junior Zyron Wilson is a very good linebacker as well. Wantrell Williams is a good two-way athlete as well.
Brandon Walters has it going and West St. John is a motivated team to win its second state title in succession.
Here are your CrescentCitySports.com Top five rankings for Class 1A area teams:
1. West St. John—Not even close
2. Varnado—Reached quarterfinals a year ago
3. Covenant Christian—Winning season last year
4. Houma Christian—Playoffs last year
5. St. Martin’s Episcopal—Proven coach in Frank Gendusa
- < PREV New Orleans area Jamboree scores, schedule update for Friday, Aug. 24
- NEXT > Southeastern Football Position Report No. 7: Tight Ends/Fullbacks
Born and raised in the New Orleans area, CCSE Owner and CEO Ken Trahan has been a sports media fixture in the community for nearly four decades. Ken started NewOrleans.com/Sports with Bill Hammack and Don Jones in 2008. In 2011, the site became SportsNOLA.com. On August 1, 2017, Ken helped launch CrescentCitySports.com. Having accumulated national awards/recognition (National Football Foundation, College…