Welsh too much for Many in Class 2A semifinal

  • icon
  • icon
  • icon
  • icon

WELSH – The Welsh Greyhounds pulled away to down the Many Tigers in the Class 2A semifinals Friday night with a trip to the Superdome on the line.

With the win, the top-seed earned the school’s first appearance in the state title game since 1992.

Welsh will be facing the St. Helena Hawks, winners of a 12-6 thriller over Ferriday, for the 2A title on Friday at noon.

Trailing by just two, Many was looking to take back the lead in the fourth quarter but an interception thrown by Norman Booker to Austin Benoit dashed those hopes. The turnover set up a touchdown run by quarterback Zach Hayes to extend the Welsh lead to 21-12 midway through the final quarter.

Disaster struck on the ensuing kickoff for the Tigers. A fumble was recovered by Welsh at the Many eight-yard line.

It didn’t take long after that for the Hounds to find paydirt on a short touchdown run by Alec Iguess to give them a commanding 28-12 lead with under six minutes left.

Many still had some fight left in them, and USLCA commitment A.J. Carter scored his third touchdown run of the evening from 32-yards out. The two point conversion that would have made it a one score game with two minutes left failed.

The Welsh offense went out onto the field to run out the clock and secure their first trip to the state championship game since they fell to the now defunct Coushatta High in 1992.

The first quarter was a defensive chess match which ended in a 0-0 tie.

The second quarter saw some more offensive action though, starting with a five yard touchdown run by Carter. The snap on the PAT was botched but the Tigers still held the 6-0 lead.

Welsh wasted no time in answering with a 22-yard touchdown pass from Hayes to Da’Ren Zeno. The successful point after kick by Trevor Lopez gave Welsh the slim 7-6 lead.

The Greyhounds made their way back down the field following an unsuccessful Many drive, ending in a Hayes touchdown pass to Tamarick Jackson with under a minute left to give Welsh the 14-6 halftime lead.

A second Carter touchdown run from inside the five yard line cut the Greyhound lead down to 14-12 at the end of the third quarter.

  • < PREV Pelicans lose Davis, lead in fourth quarter at Utah
  • NEXT > Wrestling: Brother Martin takes lead after opening day of Black Horse Tournament