Volleyball: William Carey defeats Gold Nuggets in 3 sets
NEW ORLEANS — Mia Hague’s 11 kills and Karrington Perkins’ four blocks Thursday helped William Carey earn a 25-18, 25-20, 25-22 volleyball victory against Xavier University of Louisiana.
The Lady Crusaders (12-7) became the second team to beat the Gold Nuggets (4-6) three-or-more times in XULA’s Convocation Center, which opened for volleyball in 2013. It was the second straight season that William Carey won at XULA.
XULA’s leaders included:
• Kennedy Wade with 10 kills, an ace and seven digs. It was Wade’s team-leading fifth match of the season with 10-or-more kills.
• Taylor McGee with eight kills, three blocks and five digs.
• Kendall Mack with seven kills and four blocks.
• Vivica Price-Spraggins with seven kills, a .412 hitting percentage and three blocks.
• Linda Mungai with 24 digs — her fourth match this season with 20 or more.
• Semira Blair with 22 assists and 12 digs — her third double-double this season.
Hague, who did not start, reached double figures in kills for the 11th time this season. Baylee Fairbanks had five kills, two aces and three blocks for William Carey, and Raquel Munoz had a season-high 24 digs.
William Carey outhit XULA .160 to .134. XULA leads the series, which began in 2016, 6-3, but the Gold Nuggets are 2-3 at home against Carey.
XULA, 4-1 in the Red River Athletic Conference, will play league opponent Jarvis Christian at 12:30 p.m. Saturday. Start time was moved up 30 minutes.
- < PREV Jay Johnson set to begin first fall practice as LSU baseball coach
- NEXT > Houston pulls away in second half to defeat Tulane, 40-22