Volleyball Playoffs: More local teams punch their tickets to Kenner on Saturday
Dominican, MCA, Mandeville, Northshore, Fontainebleau, SSA, AOL, Ben Franklin advance to state tourney
The state volleyball tournament is set for next Thursday through Saturday at the Pontchartrain Center in Kenner.
The Greater New Orleans area will be well-represented, the dominant area, with 19 of the 40 teams including Lutcher from the area.
On Saturday, all five area teams were victorious in Division I to reach the quarterfinals.
Top-seeded Dominican disposed of No. 17 Chalmette 25-16, 25-17, 25-4.
Elizabeth Hardouin and O’Neil Haddad led the way with 11 kills each while Kate Baker dished up 37 assists. Brooke Couret had 18 digs and Gracie Ely served five aces.
Dominican (28-2) moves on to Kenner to take on No. 8 Sulphur on Thursday. The Tors outlasted No. 9 Acadiana in five sets Saturday.
No. 2 seed Mount Carmel Academy handled No. 15 Destrehan 25-10, 25-12, 25-5.
Sophomore Lindsey Wickersham finished with nine kills, 11 assists, four aces and a block, junior Olivia Stant had six kills and five blocks and senior Cecilia Brown had six kills and four blocks for the Cubs. Senior Madison Martin served six aces and had 18 digs. Senior Rachelle Burdine had 18 assists.
Mount Carmel (21-5) will battle No. 7 Northshore in the quarterfinals Thursday.
The Panthers (20-6) advanced with a 25-13, 25-21, 25-15 win over No. 23 Southside.
Northshore defeated Mount Carmel in four sets back on Sept. 19.
No. 11 Fontainebleau went on the road and downed No. 6 St. Amant 22-25, 25-23, 18-25, 25-23, 15-11 in a thriller at Gonzales, the second five-set match played between the two sides in just over a month.
This time, the Bulldogs prevailed.
Abby Hunt had 21 kills and five blocks while Katie Hollinsworth produced 12 kills and Caroline Forest contributed 22 digs for Fontainebleau.
The Bulldogs (17-10) had lost to St. Amant in five sets on Oct. 3.
Grace Duplechain was terrific for the Gators with 28 kills, 16 assists, 12 digs and two blocks.
Fontainebleau advances to face No. 3 St. Joseph’s Academy in the quarterfinals Thursday. The Redstickers eliminated No. 14 H.L. Bourgeois in three sets. St. Joseph’s downed Fontainebleau in three sets on Sept. 26.
No. 4 Mandeville handled district rival and 20th seed Slidell 25-8, 25-12, 25-13.
Senior Taylor Pierce led the Skippers with 14 kills and a block, senior Kassidy Kirlin had eight kills and a block and junior Geneva Thompson finished with five kills and three blocks. Senior Ashlynn Anderson had 28 assists and three aces. Junior Madeline Marquez had 11 digs.
The Skippers (18-4) advance to the Pontchartrain Center to take on No. 5 Dutchtown Thursday. The Griffins eliminated No. 12 Ruston in straight sets.
In Division II, seven-time defending state champion and top seed Teurlings Catholic ended the season of No. 17 Lakeshore, winning 25-13, 25-11, 25-14.
The Rebels will battle No. 8 St. Scholastica in the quarterfinals. The Doves (19-6) downed No. 9 Liberty 25-16, 25-16, 20-25, 28-26.
Third-seeded Academy of Our Lady remained unbeaten with a 25-7, 25-7, 25-14 win over No. 14 Riverdale. The Penguins will face No. 27 South Terrebonne in the quarterfinals after the Gators downed Landry25-18, 25-12, 25-22.
No. 5 Ben Franklin defeated No. 12 Belle Chasse 25-19, 25-12, 25-19.
Madeleine Meeker led the Falcons with 14 kills, Grace Delpit had 10 kills and five blocks, Annabel Allen finished with 10 kills and 21 digs while Shanel Benjamin served a pair of aces.
Ben Franklin (26-6) advances to Kenner Thursday to take on No. 4 Vandebilt Catholic, who downed Haughton in straight sets.
Area Prep Volleyball Playoff Schedule for Saturday, Nov. 7
(1) Dominican over (17) Chalmette 25-16, 25-17, 25-4
(4) Mandeville over (20) Slidell 25-8, 25-12, 25-13
(11) Fontainebleau over (6) St. Amant 22-25, 25-23, 18-25, 25-23, 15-11
(7) Northshore over (23) Southside 25-13, 25-21, 25-16
(2) Mount Carmel Academy over (15) Destrehan 25-10, 25-12, 25-5
(1) Teurlings Catholic over (17) Lakeshore 25-13, 25-11, 25-14
(8) St. Scholastica over (9) Liberty 25-16, 25-16, 20-25, 28-26
(5) Ben Franklin over (12) Belle Chasse 25-19, 25-12, 25-19
(3) Academy of Our Lady over (14) Riverdale 25-7, 25-7, 25-14
(27) South Terrebonne over (11) Landry 25-18, 25-12, 25-22
LHSAA Prep Volleyball Quarterfinals Pairings for Thursday, Nov. 12
(8) Sulphur vs. (1) Dominican
(5) Dutchtown vs. (4) Mandeville
(11) Fontainebleau vs. (3) St. Joseph’s Academy
(7) Northshore vs. (2) Mount Carmel Academy
(8) St. Scholastica vs. (1) Teurlings Catholic
(5) Ben Franklin vs. (4) Vandebilt Catholic
(27) South Terrebonne vs. (3) Academy of Our Lady
(7) Beau Chene vs. (2) St. Thomas More
(9) Pearl River vs. (1) E.D. White Catholic
(5) Lutcher vs. (4) Cabrini
(11) St. Louis Catholic vs. (3) Archbishop Hannan
(7) Ursuline Academy vs. (2) St. Michael
(8) Ascension Episcopal vs. (1) Parkview Baptist
(5) Notre Dame vs. (4) Sacred Heart (NO)
(6) Catholic (NI) vs. (3) Pope John Paul II
(10) Lafayette Christian vs. (2) John Curtis Christian
(9) Episcopal of Acadiana vs. (1) Country Day
(5) Catholic (PC) vs. (4) Ascension Catholic
(11) McGehee vs. (5) Westminster Christian
(15) Northlake Christian vs. (10) Central Catholic
- < PREV Little Rock completes weekend sweep of Warhawks, 3-1
- NEXT > CCS Top 10s: Lafayette Christian takes top spot, Brother Martin and Newman rise in rankings
Born and raised in the New Orleans area, CCSE CEO Ken Trahan has been a sports media fixture in the community for nearly four decades. Ken started NewOrleans.com/Sports with Bill Hammack and Don Jones in 2008. In 2011, the site became SportsNOLA.com. On August 1, 2017, Ken helped launch CrescentCitySports.com. Having accumulated national awards/recognition (National Sports Media Association, National Football…