UNO cruises past HBU on second day of SLC Tipoff
KATY, Texas – The New Orleans men’s basketball program cruised to an 81-65 victory over HBU as the Privateers completed the dominating effort on the second day of the 2022 Southland Conference Tipoff Tournament at the Merrell Center on Friday afternoon.
FINAL SCORE: New Orleans – 81, HBU –65
LOCATION: Leonard E. Merrell Center – Katy, Texas
RECORDS: New Orleans 5-8 (0-0 SLC), HBU 4-8 (0-0 SLC)
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
– Derek St. Hilaire once again paced the Privateers on offense as he finished with a team-high 17 points (on 7-of-10 shooting) to go with five rebounds, three steals and two assists. It is the tenth time so far this season that the Atlanta, Ga. native has led UNO in points and the 11th time overall that he has reached double-digits in scoring.
– Daniel Sackey had another strong impact as he posted 13 points along with three boards, two assists and two steals.
– Troy Green recorded 12 points on a perfect 8-of-8 day from the charity stripe. The St. Rose, La. native led the game with five assists and four takeaways. He also grabbed three rebounds.
– The duo of Tyson Jackson and Simeon Kirkland had another big day inside as the two combined for 18 points (nine points apiece). Jackson tied a career best with three blocks and also chipped in three steals and two rebounds. Kirkland added seven boards and a steal.
– De’Sean Allen-Eikens had an efficient day as he posted seven points (on 3-of-5 from the field) to go with four rebounds in 18 minutes of play.
– Jahmel Myers went a perfect 3-of-3 from the floor as he posted seven points and a season-best five boards in 12 minutes of action.
– New Orleans finished the game at a 50.9 percent clip from the field (28-of-55 overall).
– UNO registered 42 points in the paint, 23 points off turnovers and 21 points off the bench.
– In total the Privateers led for 38:52 of the contest as the game featured just a single lead change.
HOW IT HAPPENED
– New Orleans raced out on a 38-18 run over the first 16 minutes of the game.
– The Privateers kept the strong momentum and took a 43-29 lead into the half.
– HBU started the second on a 21-14 run of its own over the first 10:40, but the Privateers would only allow the Huskies to get as close as seven as they turned it on to finish the contest with a 24-15 answer over the final 10 minutes of play to close out the 81-65 victory.
New Orleans will conclude its time in the inaugural 2022 Southland Tipoff Tournament on Saturday, Jan. 7 at 1:30 PM CT. The Privateers will face either Northwestern State or UIW and the game will be streamed in front of a national audience on ESPN+.
Fans are encouraged to follow @UNOPrivateers on Twitter, @PrivateersMBB on Instagram, like /PrivateersMBB on Facebook and subscribe to the PrivateerAthletics YouTube.
- < PREV Rebounding lifts Northwestern State to victory against UIW in Katy
- NEXT > Pelicans waive forward Gary Clark