UCA takes tight home win over UNO
CONWAY, Ark. – Damion Rosser posted his second double-double of the season (20 points, 10 rebounds) and Lamont Berzat drained three triples in the first half and finished with 20 points, four three-pointers and four steals in New Orleans’ 83-79 setback Wednesday evening at Central Arkansas in the Farris Center.
Central Arkansas 83, New Orleans 79
Records: UCA (3-7, 2-0 Southland), New Orleans (1-9, 0-2 Southland)
Location: Farris Center (Conway, Arkansas)
- Three-point shooting and second chance opportunities put the Privateers ahead at the half and the lead was nine early in the second.
- The Bears scored seven unanswered to make it a one-possession game with 12:38 left to play.
- Central Arkansas regained the lead – 74-73 – with 3:26 remaining in regulation. It was the Bears’ first lead since the 4:04 mark in the first half.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Derek St. Hilaire hit back-to-back three-pointers prior to the under-12 media in the first to cut the UCA lead to one.
- A 7-0 run late in the first half gave the Privateers its first lead – 36-34 – with 2:31 remaining.
- New Orleans closed the first half with a 41-38 edge.
- Rosser’s fifth field goal made the redshirt-junior the third to reach double figures for UNO (13:47 in second) and gave the Privateers their largest lead of the game – 57-48.
- Rosser hit a straight away three with 2:30 to go to make it a one-possession game in favor of UCA. It was his first three-pointer of the season.
- The Privateers pulled down seven offensive rebounds in the first to UCA’s zero.
- St. Hilaire and Berzat drained three triples apiece in the opening 20 minutes of the contest. St. Hilaire concluded the first with a game-high 13 points and Berzat added 11.
- Berzat’s free throw with 4:53 to go made it 73-70 UNO and gave the senior his second career 20-point game. It’s his first since he posted 21 as a freshman in the CBI win over UTRGV (March 18, 2018). He finished with 20 points and four steals, tying his career mark set six times. It was the most steals since his freshman season (December 20, 2018 at Pittsburgh).
- UCA road a 9-0 run to regain a late lead with just over three minutes to play.
- Rosser and Berzat finished with 20 points apiece, St. Hilaire added 13 points, nine from deep, and Troy Green finished with 11.
- Rodney Carson Jr. started his first game of the season and third as a Privateer.
- The three-point lead at the half marked the fifth time the Privateers led heading into the second.
- Four Privateers reached double figures for the second time this season (December 2 vs. Louisiana).
- The all-time series is now tied at 6-6.
- The 79 UNO points are the most since Senior Day last season (win vs. Southeastern March 7).
The Privateers return to New Orleans for their first home game since December 2. UNO welcomes UIW Saturday, January 9 at 6 p.m. for an ESPN+ affair at Lakefront Arena.
- < PREV Women's Basketball: Colonels struggle offensively in loss at Lamar
- NEXT > LSU rallies from 10 down to edge Georgia in OT, 94-92