Tulane opens 2021 baseball campaign versus Louisiana-Lafayette
TULANE WELCOMES LOUISIANA-LAFAYETTE TO GFATS
- The Green Wave baseball team enters their 114th year on Friday as it welcomes Louisiana-Lafayette to Greer Field at Turchin Stadium.
- First pitch is set for 2 p.m. and will aired live on ESPN+. The game can also be heard live on WRBH 88.3 FM.
- The Green Wave will be in search of their third straight series sweep to open the year. Tulane will also look to continue its winning streak from 2020, as it closed last year with nine straight wins.
A FAMILIAR FOE – SERIES HISTORY
- Tulane’s matchup with Louisiana-Lafayette will mark the 94th time in which the two teams have faced one another.
- Louisiana-Lafayette holds a slight 47-46 series advantage.
- The two teams last met back in 2019 with the Ragin’ Cajuns earning a 7-6 win over the Green Wave in Lafayette. Earlier in that 2019 campaign, Tulane posted a convincing 7-3 victory.
SCOUTING THE RAGIN’ CAJUNS
- Louisiana-Lafayette is under the direction of second-year head coach Matt Deggs.
- The Ragin’ Cajuns finished the year with an 8-9 record.
- ULL was picked to finish 2021 third in the Sun Belt West Division.
- Junior right-hander Conor Angel highlights the list of returning starters for ULL, as he was selected to the Preseason All-Sun Belt Conference team.
- Angel owned a 3.74 ERA and held opposing batters to a .221 average in 21.2 innings pitched in 2020.
A THREE-HEADED MONSTER
- The Tulane baseball team returns all three players from its 2020 rotation for this season in the form of Braden Olthoff, Jack Aldrich and Donovan Benoit.
- The Green Wave trio combined for an 8-0 win-loss record, posted a 1.89 earned run average, logged 66.2 innings, struck out 83 and held opponents to a .181 batting average.
ESPN+ THE HOME FOR TULANE BASEBALL
- Tulane University baseball games will be more accessible than ever, as the program announced today that all 33 home games will be aired exclusively on ESPN+ for the 2021 campaign.
- Televised Tulane baseball road games will be announced on a weekly basis. Fans should check back on TulaneGreenWave.com for the latest broadcast information.
TULANE LOOKS TO BUILD OFF STRONG 2020 START
- The Green Wave will look to build off of their momentum from the 2020 campaign.
- Tulane finished the year with a 15-2 mark, which matched its best start to a season since 1972.
- The Green Wave closed the year on a nine-game winning streak – the program’s longest since 2010.
- Tulane also posted an incredible 11-1 record at home.
JOIN THE PLEDGE PER WIN CAMPAIGN
Tulane fans can ensure that every Green Wave win makes a lasting impact this season by joining the Pledge Per Win campaign. Fans can participate in the Pledge Per Win campaign by pledging to give $5, $10, or $25 to the Green Wave Club for each game the Tulane Baseball team wins this season. Additionally, supporters are encouraged to pledge $1 for every strikeout by Tulane pitchers this season. Fans interested in enrolling in the Pledge Per Win and Pledge Per Strikeout campaigns are encouraged to visit www.GreenWaveClub.com/ppw.
WE ARE NOLA BUILT
Tulane University is located in the city of New Orleans. It is a city built on tradition and resiliency. The lessons Green Wave student-athletes have learned through their connection with this university and city have BUILT doctors, lawyers, business leaders, conference champions, all-conference players, All-Americans, professional athletes and NCAA tournament teams. The city of New Orleans has shaped us into who we are today. We are One City. We are Tulane. We are NOLA BUILT. Check out our story at NolaBuilt.com.
- < PREV Boys Basketball: Rummel keeps competing, gets rare win
- NEXT > LSU opens 2021 baseball season with Air Force