Tulane Football Gameweek Preview: SMU
TULANE WELCOMES SMU TO YULMAN STADIUM FOR HOMECOMING
• The Green Wave return home for Homecoming on Friday night in a nationally-televised matchup on ESPN against No. 17/18 SMU for their second home game of the season. The game is set to kickoff at 5 p.m.
• Tulane’s matchup with SMU marks the second straight home game that the Green Wave have played on nationally-televised platform. The Green Wave opened their home slate with a matchup against Navy on ABC back on Sept. 19.
• SMU will be the highest ranked team to ever play inside Yulman Stadium. SMU will be just the third ranked opponent to play inside Yulman Stadium since the venue opened in 2014.
• The Green Wave will faceoff against SMU for the 27th time. The series is tied at 13-13.
• Tulane will be in search of its first win over SMU since 2012.
• Four of the last six Tulane-SMU games have been decided by one score or less.
FIRST AND 10
1. Tulane will look to avoid opening the year 0-2 at home. Since the opening of Yulman Stadium in 2014, the Green Wave have never opened the year 0-2 at home.
2. True freshman Michael Pratt will once again get the start at quarterback. He is just the seventh true freshman to start at quarterback since 1975.
3. Pratt will look to become the first true freshman to earn a win as a starter since 1985 (Terrence Jones in 1985 was the last).
4. Tulane has 19 players on its 2020 roster that are from the state of Texas including: Corey Dauphine, Josh Coltrin, Jaylon Monroe, Amare Jones, Josh Holl, Jaetavian Toles, Kevaris Hall, Logan Ammons, Larry Brooks, Keitha Jones Jr., Sincere Haynesworth, Carlos Hatcher, Jackson Fort, Tyrick James, Dane Ledford, Sorrell Brown, Keshon Williams, Reggie Brown, Brandon Brown.
5. Tulane will be in search of its first win over a nationally-ranked since Oct. 6, 1984 (27-23 vs. Vanderbilt). The last time Tulane defeated a ranked opponent at home was back on Sept. 29, 1979 when it defeated SMU 24-17.
6. Redshirt sophomore running back Cam Carroll has rushed for no less than two touchdowns in three of the Green Wave’s four games this season. Against Southern Miss, Carroll scored four touchdowns. Carroll ranks third in the nation in total touchdowns.
7. Tulane’s special teams’ unit ranks as one of the best in The American. The Green Wave rank third in the league in kick return average (32.1) and rank fourth in punt return average (9.5).
8. Tulane had its 56-game streak of rushing for at least 100 yards snapped last week at Houston. The 56-game streak dated back to the end of the 2015 season.
9. The Green Wave enter their matchup with SMU having rushed for over 250 yards in nine of their last 19 games (337 vs. UL-Lafayette -2018, 350 vs. FIU – 2019, 298 vs. Missouri State – 2019, 325 vs. Houston – 2019, 324 vs. Army – 2019, 311 vs. UConn – 2019 and 290 vs. Tulsa – 2019, 265 vs. Navy – 2020 and 427 vs. Southern Miss). The Green Wave have also surpassed 200 yards rushing in 12 of their last 17 games dating back to the start of the 2019 season.
10. Defensive linemen Patrick Johnson ranks 15th in the nation in sacks per game. Johnson was recognized in the preseason as a Top 250 prospect by the Reese’s Senior Bowl.
• The Mustangs enter Friday night’s game in the hopes of remaining undefeated. SMU is coming off a bye week following a 30-27 win over Memphis back on Oct. 3.
• In 2019, head coach Sonny Dykes led SMU to a historic season that saw the Mustangs go 10-3, winning the most games since 1984 and earning their highest national ranking (15/14) since 1985.
• Shane Buechele leads the way offensively for the Mustangs. SMU offensive unit. Through four games, Buechele has thrown an AAC-best 10 touchdowns. His 10 touchdown passes also rank fifth nationally.
• Redshirt freshman running back Ulysses Bentley IV has also made a strong impact for SMU this season, as he has rushed for a team-best 412 yards. His 412 yards lead The American and rank seventh nationally.
• Senior Delano Robinson leads the SMU defensive unit with 31 tackles.
• Sophomore linebacker and Louisiana native Elijah Chatman leads Ponies with three sacks on the year.
- < PREV LSU 2020 Game Notes: Tigers trek to the Swamp to face Florida
- NEXT > Saints rally from 17 down to edge Chargers in overtime thriller