Southern Lab to forfeit two state football titles; coach Marcus Randall suspended and no longer at school
Southern Lab will forfeit football championship trophies for 2015 and 2016, along with a runner-up trophy from 2014, based on sanctions released by the LHSAA at a joint news conference held Tuesday at the LHSAA office.
LHSAA Executive Director Eddie Bonine said the ruling was based in large part on an investigation done by Southern Lab which started last October. Bonine said those findings were turned over to the LHSAA on Friday. Southern Lab School Director Herman Brister Jr. and Bonine both addressed the media.
The school will forfeit all games from those three seasons and be banned from the football playoffs for two years. The coaching privileges of head coach Marcus Randall, a former LSU and Glen Oaks High School quarterback, were suspended for one year by the LHSAA. Randall was entering his third season and indicated in a text that he is no longer at the school.
Read more from The Advocate and see the full listing of penalties accessed to Southern Lab below.
• Recruitment of students or attempted recruiting of students for athletic purposes, regardless of their residence, is a gross violation of the spirit and philosophy of these By-Laws and is expressly prohibited.
• Recruiting for athletic purposes is not only a violation by the student who has been recruited, but is also a violation by the school and/or the school personnel who recruited the student
• It shall be a violation of this rule for a student-athlete to receive or be offered remuneration or special inducement of any kind that is not made available to all applicants who apply to or enroll in the school
1) Forfeiture / Vacating 2014-2015 LHSAA State Football Runner-Up; Trophy and any/all accompanying awards.
2) Forfeiture / Vacating of the 2015-2016 LHSAA State Football Championship; Trophy and any/all accompanying awards.
3) Forfeiture / Vacating of the 2016-2017 LHSAA State Football Championship: Trophy and any/all accompanying awards.
4) Administrative post season participation (Restriction Probation) (2017-2018)-(2018-2019) seasons in football.
5) Administrative post season participation (Disciplinary Probation) (2017-2018)-(2018-2019) seasons in football.
6) Fine of $5,000.00 to be paid prior to any/all allowable participation by any/all athletic programs at Southern Laboratory School registered with the LHSAA.
7) Past Assistant Football Coach LHSAA /LHSCA coaching privileges revoked for the (2017-2018) – (2018-2019) seasons. Re-instatement appeal will be required but not allowed until April 2019.
8) Present Head Football Coach LHSAA / LHSCA coaching privileges suspended for the 2017-2018 season.
9) Present Assistant Football Coaches LHSAA / LHSCA coaching privileges suspended for the (2017-2018) seasons.
10) Numerous present athletes at Southern Laboratory School and athletes that have left Southern Laboratory School will be subject to continued investigation and potential ineligibility.
- < PREV Leon Landry named LSU undergraduate assistant baseball coach
- NEXT > SLU bolsters offensive line with addition of former LSU starter Teuhema