Rosser, Green combine for 40 points, 18 rebounds in UNO’s 74-57 victory over FNU
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – Damion Rosser connected on his first eight field goals and finished 10-of-11 with a career-high 22 points and Troy Green posted his first double-double as a Privateer with 18 points and 12 rebounds in New Orleans’ 74-57 victory Tuesday afternoon over Florida National at Swisher Gymnasium.
It was the opener of the BSN Dolphin Classic.
Rosser has reached double figures in all four games this season and Green recorded 10 points in the second and is now eight points away from 1,000 for his career.
New Orleans 74, Florida National 57
Records: New Orleans (1-3), Florida National (2-11)
Location: Swisher Gymnasium (Jacksonville, Fla.)
- The Privateers closed out the first half on a 25-6 run for a 39-20 edge.
- Rosser began the game 8-of-8 from the field.
- UNO closed the game on a 10-2 run.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- It was a slow start offensively for both teams, but the Privateers went on several runs in the opening stanza to jump out to a 19-point lead entering the locker room.
- Rosser went 6-of-6 for 14 points to lead the way and Green followed, flirting with a triple-double in just the first with eight points and nine rebounds.
- Florida National went 3-of-18 from deep in the first half, and overall, shot just 23 percent from the field.
- Green’s steal with 1:15 remaining in the first moved the senior to a tie for tenth place in Privateers history with 110 (A.J. Meredith).
- Rosser reached double figures with 14 points in the first. It marked the first time the redshirt junior posts 10+ points in four consecutive games since January 26-February 6, 2019.
- Lamont Berzat posted five boards and two steals in the first half.
- The Privateers scored 15 fast-break points to FNU’s two and outrebounded the Conquistadors by seven in the first.
- Green’s bucket with 8:02 remaining gave the senior his first career double-double with 10 points and 10 rebounds.
- Jahmel Myers filled up the stat sheet with seven points, career-high seven assists, six rebounds, two blocks and a steal.
- Ahren Freeman finished with 12 points and seven rebounds.
- UNO shot 52.9 percent from the floor to FNU’s 29.3, and the Privateers outrebounded the Conquistadors 50-37.
- It was the most rebounds since December 18, 2017 (Oklahoma Panhandle State).
- Today was the first meeting between the Privateers and Conquistadors.
- Green has started 54 career games and appeared in 98 of a possible 99 career games.
- Rosser’s 6-of-6 performance in the first half is the third-best shooting performance in the opening frame in program history. Oscar Taylor (1981) and Nate Mills (1985) went 7-of-7.
The Privateers remain in Jacksonville for day two of the BSN Dolphin Classic to take on Campbell tomorrow at 1:30 p.m. CT.
- < PREV Tulane names Chip Long new offensive coordinator
- NEXT > December schedule changes announced for McNeese men's basketball