Rogers stays unbeaten as Cowboys run-rule Huskies
HOUSTON – McNeese starting pitcher Grant Rogers threw six scoreless innings and allowed just four hits and the Cowboys built on a four-run second inning to defeat HCU 15-5 in seven innings on Friday in the first game of a three-game Southland Conference baseball series.
Rogers improved his record to 7-0 on the year as he recorded the win in his seventh start of the season.
McNeese (18-8, 2-2 SLC) led 15-0 before the Huskies (3-21, 1-3) scored five runs in the bottom of the seventh as the Cowboys closed out the game with a run-rule win.
The Cowboys had just seven hits in the game but those seven were crucial as they knocked in 13 runs. Left fielder Cooper Hext and right fielder Braden Duhon each knocked in three runs while shortstop Josh Leslie, center fielder Payton Harden and third baseman Taylor Darden each had two RBIs.
HCU put eight hits on the board but got half of those in the seventh inning.
The series will continue at 1 p.m. on Saturday as Cowboy righty Derrick Cherry will take the mound for the start.
• Both Tré Obregon III and Josh Leslie extended their bases reached streak, Obregon to 23 games while Leslie extended his to 18.
• Obregon saw his hitting streak come to an end at 10 games as he went 0-for-4 at the plate with a walk and run scored.
• Leslie added to his league-leading RBI total with two on the day, increasing his season total to 38.
• CF Payton Harden had two hits and scored two runs in the game, increasing his career school record totals to 280 hits and 183 runs scored.
• McNeese has now won five straight against the Huskies in the series.
- < PREV Ragin' Cajuns take extra inning win over JMU
- NEXT > Homers propel No. 1 LSU to 6-4 win over No. 9 Tennessee