Recruiting: Top 50 metro New Orleans recruits in Class of 2022 (Nos. 1-25)
As usual, the New Orleans metro area is stocked with top quality talent for the 2022 football recruiting class, attracting the elite college football programs from around the country.
Time to look at the scouting notes on the top 25 recruits in the area (see Nos. 25-50 here).
1. DB Jacoby Matthews (6-2, 210) Ponchatoula, the five-star safety verbally committed to LSU for ’22. He compares favorably to former LSU/NFL safety Ryan Clark with whom he trains in the offseason. Matthews started as a freshman as an All District on the Ponchatoula basketball team. He can return punts, is an excellent tackler, functions well in space, instinctive, quick diagnosis. Played QB for Wave last season, threw for 858 yards, 10 TD’s, ran for 548 yards and 9 scores.
2. WR Shazz Preston (5-11, 185) St. James, top four includes LSU, Mississippi State, Alabama and Ole Miss. Mickey Joseph trying to seal deal for LSU. His brother Shawn plays at Mississippi State. Reminds me of Early Doucet. In 2019, he had 63 catches, 1,018 yds. 9 TD’s. In 2020, 50 grabs, 865 yards, 9 TD’s.
3. WR Aaron Anderson (5-10, 175, 4.39 forty) Edna Karr, committed to LSU, in 2020, 35 catches 678 yards 8 TD’s. Elite punt returner with 6 TD’s in ’20. Can turn short catch to long run. Smooth routes. Catches in a crowd. Runs 100, 200, 4×100 and 4×200 meters.
4. OLB Javae Gilmore (6-4, 200) Amite, suitors include LSU, Arkansas, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, SMU, Mississippi State, Memphis, Kentucky and Ole Miss. Covers a lot of ground, could play safety, super athletic, great baseball player. Brother, Amani, played QB at Kentucky.
5. DT Shone Washington (6-4, 300) Warren Easton, started as freshman at Ehret (semifinalist). Decommit from LSU, Tigers still in mix along with Alabama, Florida, Kentucky, Arizona State, Tulane, Virginia, Mississippi State, USC, Texas A&M, Tennessee, Penn State. Powerful, fights through blockers, Outstanding showing at IMG camp Dec, 2020.
6. OT Cam East (6-7, 280) St. Augustine, Arkansas may be favorite, TCU, Colorado, Florida State, Georgia, Texas Tech, Mississippi State, Houston and Memphis. Great reach, 2nd team All District in 2020, 2nd level blocks, balance, pass protector, can muscle defender.
7. ILB Kailep Edwards (6-0, 221) West St. John, Colorado, Mississippi State, ULL, Memphis, Tulane, Michigan State, Penn State, Tennessee and Houston. District 9 defensive MVP, recorded 45 tackles, 3 sacks, 2 forced fumbles. Will rock you. In 2019, 79 tackles, 11 TFL, 6 sacks
8. WR A.J. Johnson (6-4, 205, 4.5) Newman, LSU commit, All-State in 2020 with 40 catches, 558 yards, 6 TD’s. Long strider, eats up turf, super catching radius, good route runner, high points ball. Similar to Odell Beckham when he was at Newman, 40 vertical. Makes plays with defenders draped on him. Very physical.
9. WR LeRoy Paige (6-4, 190, 4.4) Martin Luther King Charter, top 4 Baylor, Florida State, Virginia and Mississippi State. Transferred from John F. Kennedy and Holy Cross. Makes tough catch, strong hands, can play defensive back.
10. DT Tygee Hill (6-2, 288) Edna Karr, LSU commit, in 2020 4 A All State, 49 tackles, 26 TFL, 14 sacks, started as freshman at Karr. Good leverage, destroys blockers, strong hands, quickness as pass rusher. Reminds me of Gerald Willis (Karr, Florida/Miami, NFL)
11. OT Bo Bordelon (6-5, 255) Newman, LSU commit, his father Ben was 1996 All-SEC at LSU and played with Chargers. Son has great feet, can play OT/OG, technique sound. Newman coach Nelson Stewart calls him one of most complete OL he has ever had.
12. WR Amorion Walker (6-4, 188) Ponchatoula, Notre Dame commit, 3.8 GPA, 4.5 forty, 10.8 hundred, 38″ vertical, explosive first step, good separation in route, concentration, catches away from body. His uncle Reggie Walker made it to the NFL.
13. CB Jhamal Shelby (6-2, 180) St. Augustine, options include Florida, Memphis, Mississippi State, Tulane, Virginia. Good length, athleticism, high football IQ, flexibility, super break on ball, handles press coverage, closes quickly.
14. CB Ronald ‘Champ’ Lewis (6-1, 170, 4.55) Warren Easton, committed to Colorado but Purdue, West Virginia, Virginia, McNeese, Oregon State, Tulane, LA Tech, Memphis among other suitors. Had 8 interceptions and 9 passes broken up in 2020. All State in ’20, Good tackler, ball skills, hips, great anticipation.
15. WR Landon Ibieta (6-0, 177) Mandeville, University of Miami may be the favorite but LA Tech, Tulane, Virginia, Memphis, Wisconsin, Wake Forest, South Alabama, Kansas, So. Miss all on the scene as well. LSU is monitoring. Against Hannan in 2020, he had 5 catches for 307 yards and 3 TD’s. Route runner, physical, velcro hands, jet sweeps.
16. DT Bishop ‘Juice’ Thomas (6-2, 285) St. Augustine, Texas, UCF, Illinois, Virginia Tech, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Marshall. Very active, penetration, 3 or 5 technique, edge rusher.
17. DB Corey Lambert (6-1, 183) Brother Martin, Duke, Columbia, Florida Atlantic, Memphis, Austin Peay, Troy, Tulane, Princeton. In 2020, the safety prospect had 83 tackles, 15 PBU, 3 forced fumbles, 5 interceptions. Very athletic, ball awareness, great character.
18. WR Darrell Demesme (6-1, 185, 4.5) McMain, Florida State, Memphis, Tennessee, Kansas and South Alabama. Could play safety, elusive in space, comes back to ball, separation in route, body control.
19. WR Javon Davis (6-1, 180) John Curtis, interest from Georgia, Miami, Georgia Tech, Georgia State and Texas Tech. Uses body to protect ball, good hands.
20. LG Jayson Montgomery-Scott (6-4, 310) Brother Martin, Florida State, Air Force, So. Miss, Western Kentucky and McNeese. Road grader, drives opponents.
21. OL Malachi Preciado (6-3, 285) Warren Easton, center prospect, Purdue, Tulane, Air Force, Marshall, Princeton, Harvard, LA Tech, Yale, Columbia, Army. leadership, good reach, controls NT, keeps feet, good balance, gets downfield.
22. ATH Tariq ‘Triii’ Watson (5-11, 165, 4.4) Helen Cox, schools interested include Purdue, Virginia, Idaho, Middle Tennessee. 38 vertical, 21.4, 200 meters. forces turnovers, special team dynamo, super quick reactions. Could play safety or CB.
23. WR Kody Finley (6-5, 188) Ponchatoula, Indiana, Ole Miss, South Alabama, Memphis, Kansas. With brother T.J. Finley’s transfer to Auburn, the Tigers on the Plains may become an option. Good basketball skills.
24. OG Trey’eon Brumfield (6-1, 308) Amite, Kentucky interest, drives opponents as power blocker.
25. DT Darrion Goodrich (6-2, 285, 5.0) McMain, Tulane, South Alabama, Arkanasa State, SLU. Has done 500 lbs. squat, good pad level.
- < PREV ASC Player of the Year Alex Ashby named D3 All-American while 2 others earn All-Region nods
- NEXT > Louisiana Tech signs Hofstra transfer David Green
Born and raised in the New Orleans area, Rene Nadeau has been involved in sports ever since his earliest memories. Rene played basketball, wrestled, ran track, and was an All-District running back in football at John F. Kennedy High School. He went on to be a member of the LSU football program, developing a passion for the game in even…