Recruiting: Top 50 metro New Orleans recruits in Class of 2022 (Nos. 26-50)
The flood gates spring open June 1, allowing recruits to make visits to their potential future destinations. I anticipate seeing the commitment lists to increase exponentially in the upcoming weeks.
Here are my Greater New Orleans Metro area top 50 prospects for the 2022 class. Players may move upward or step back depending on how the -21 football campaign unfolds.
This is the bottom half of the list.
26. DE Kells “Prime Time” Bush (6-3, 255) Edna Karr, holds a 3.3 GPA, collapses pocket, a power rusher, can line up at 5 tech, good pursuit, blows past blocker. Memphis, SLU and Akron current offers.
27. LB Tory Morgan (6-0, 205) Edna Karr, squats 485 pounds, bench press 325 lbs. Has recorded 131 tackles, 42 TFL and 17 sacks for Cougars. SLU, Southern and Louisiana College current suitors.
28. DE Steven Walker (6-1, 240) Destrehan, very active pass rusher, good first step, super effort. Dartmouth, Columbia and SLU.
29. WR Leon “Chettah” Elloie (5-8, 170) Warren Easton, 10.51 hundred meters, 6.86 60 meters. He is an attention grabber, a home run threat, good hands, comes back to ball, an “X” receiver. ULM and Austin Peay offers.
30. RB Daniel Jupiter (5-10, 185, 4.54) St. James, super visiion, 11.07 in 100 meters. Explosive in open field, jump cuts. Navy and Air Force are on him.
31. RT Sameij Scott (6-3, 275) Lutcher, good feet, balance, delivers a hit, moves well in space. ULM, Nicholls, SLU, Houston Baptist.
32. RB/LB Brayden Johnson (6-0, 207) Ponchatoula, rushed for 1,007 yards and 11 TD’s as a junior. Against Covington (Oct. 8th), he ran for 172 yards and 4 TD’s. Tulane interest, SLU also in mix.
33. WR Troy Kendrick (6-2, 172), 4.47) Hahnville, squats 425 pounds. Good separation in routes, deep threat. Colorado State, Nicholls.
34. WR Austin Jackson (5-9, 175) Brother Martin, in 2020 grabbed 40 passes for 984 yards and 10 TD’s. Good hands, uses body well, great effort, concentration, finds crease in secondary. Looks from La. Tech, Nicholls, North Texas, SLU, Southern Miss.
35. DE Joshua Martin (6-4, 245, 4.7) Bonnabel, squats 400 pounds, seals edge, good range, crashes down line to make play. McNeese offer.
36. WR Brody Reina (6-0, 180) St. Paul’s 2020 All District with 31 catches, 716 yards 5 TD-S. 4.27 GPA, Never has made a “B”. adjusts well to throw, catches in stride, determination, Tulane, La. Tech, Princeton, Columbia, Harvard.
37. ATH Korrill Mearridy (5-8, 155) Amite, super athletic, cuts at full speed, a pack of dynamite. SWAC and Southland watching closely.
38. RB Aami Cargo (5-11, 180, 4.5) John Ehret, breaks tackles, N/S runner. Interest from Louisville, Kentucky.
39. PK Alec Mahler (5-10, 175) St. James, dead lift 405 lbs. 42 yard punting average. Good baseball player Southern offer.
40. LB Scott Isacks (6-4, 235, 4.75) Country Day, could be a power runner, good giddy up, squats 500 lbs. basketball PF averages 12 points and 12 boards per outing. Louisiana College offer.
41. WR August Banks (5-11, 175) Edna Karr, runs away from pursuit, good hands, concentration, quick stride. Tulane offer.
42. DB Michael Newton (5-9, 175) Shaw, 3.1 GPA, plays Nickel, safety, CB, instinctive, physical, quick reactions. In 2020 played in only 5 games due to meniscus injury, had 5 interceptions and 2 sacks. Cousin of NFL’s Justin Jefferson. Nicholls and SLU.
43. CB Damaiyuran Compton (6-1, 170) St. Augustine, challenges the run, good break on ball. Memphis offer.
44. WR Dontrell “Scrappy” Osby (5-11, 181) Ponchatoula, dangerous in space, beats double coverage. South Alabama, Alcorn, SLU.
45. RB Jace Smith (5-8, 175) Booker T. Washington, Arkansas State and Lyon College.
46. ATH Buddy Taylor (5-11, 160, 4.5) John Curtis, QB for Patriots, good basketball, may play WR/DB in college. Louisiana College.
47. DT Ryan Bernard (6-2, 265) Lakeshore, 2020 earned All State, beats double team blocks. Nicholls, SLU.
48. WR Kylon “Wildcat” Harris (6-0, 165) East St. John, excellent point guard in basketball, tracks ball as receiver, makes contested catches. SLU, SWAC and state schools.
49. QB Garrett Mmahat (6-2 1/2, 188) Brother Martin, 4 year starter, 4.3 GPA, started more games behind center than any other Crusader in school history. Good decisions, high IQ, tight window throws, cool under pressure. State schools, Sun Belt, Princeton, South Alabama, Brown, Southern Miss interest.
50. WR Nick Howard (6-3, 175) Rummel, hands, good routes, Louisiana College, Langston.
- < PREV McNeese heads to Fort Worth Regional to face #6 TCU
- NEXT > Louisiana Tech to host NC State, Alabama, Rider in Ruston NCAA Regional
Born and raised in the New Orleans area, Rene Nadeau has been involved in sports ever since his earliest memories. Rene played basketball, wrestled, ran track, and was an All-District running back in football at John F. Kennedy High School. He went on to be a member of the LSU football program, developing a passion for the game in even…