Recruiting Notes: Top 40 football recruits in New Orleans area for 2022
In a couple of weeks, we’ll drop the curtain on the 2021 recruiting class. The process has long been underway for the 2022 signing class.
As per usual, Greater New Orleans is blessed with a high quality of college prospects. This is an early peek at some of the best prospects from the area for next year’s cycle.
Some have offers while others through growth and maturation will attract more interest as the process moves forward. Their current ranking could rise. The Southland Conference schools are looking are many of these prospects, as well as state schools, Louisiana Tech, ULL, ULM, Grambling, Southern and Louisiana College.
1. WR Shazz Preston (5-11, 188) St. James, four-star, snared 63 passes for 1,018 yards and 9 TD’s (2019), 50 grabs for 865 yards and 9 TD’s (2020) His current top “4” LSU, Mississippi State, Alabama, Ole Miss. His older brother(Shawn) is safety at Mississippi State. Tremendous catching radius, will get ball in traffic, super burst off of line. Reminds me of former LSU and NFL receiver Early Doucet athletically.
2. DB Jacoby Matthews (6-1, 210) Ponchatoula, four-star, #6 overall safety in country. Top five LSU, Alabama, Oklahoma, Texas and Mississippi State. LSU has been dream school. Currently plays QB, athletic, dominant athlete.
3. DT Tygee Hill (6-2, 280) Karr, four-star started as freshman. Highly coveted, good leverage, reminds me of former Karr star, DT Gerald Willis. Strong hands, destroys blocks, quickness, pass rusher. Alabama, LSU, Tennessee, Texas, Florida, Colorado, Virginia, LA Tech, Georgia, Miami, Kentucky, Kansas, Michigan State, Ole Miss and Mississippi State.
4. WR A.J. Johnson (6-4, 205) Newman, four-star long strider, eats up turf quickly, great catching radius, cradles ball, good route runner. Close to an Odell Beckham, Jr. prospect at Newman. Top five LSU, Alabama, Ole Miss, Georgia and Miami.
5. DT Shone Washington (6-4, 300) Warren Easton, three-star, among top 20 DT’s in country. Started as freshman at John Ehret (on a semifinal team). Powerful, fights through blockers. Outstanding showing at IMG Academy camp in December in Bradenton, Fla. De, committed from LSU this weekend. Mickey Joseph still trying to reel him in. Has LSU, Alabama, Texas A&M, Florida, Arizona State, Tennessee, Penn State, Tulane, Mississippi State, Kentucky, USC and Mississippi State.
6. WR Aaron Anderson (5-10, 175) Karr, three-star, catches in a crowd, PR extraordinaire, 100 meters, 200 meters, 4 X 100, 4 X 200 relays. Commit to LSU.
7. WR LeRoy Paige (6-4, 190, 4.4) Holy Cross, could play defensive back. Makes tough catches, strong hands, high points ball. May have some class work to catch up. Baylor may have early lead, Memphis, Florida State, Virginia, Mississippi State, Houston and Kentucky.
8. OT Cam East (6-7, 280) St. Augustine, three-star. Purple Knight have a few alums who made to NFL as OT’s Sam Holden, Nate Dorsey, Selvish Capers, Louis Age, Jr. and Ronald Cherry. Still early in process, great reach, 2nd team All District, 2nd level blocks, good balance, pass protector, can muscle defender. Florida State, Georgia, Arkansas and Mississippi State.
9. WR Darrell DeMasme (6-1, 184, 4.5) Eleanor McMain, could play FS, elusive in space, comes back to ball, separation in route, good concentration. Tennessee, Florida State and Kansas.
10. ILB Kailep Edwards (6-0, 221) West St. John, three-star, hot motor, very active, will “rock” ballcarrier. Top five Colorado, Mississippi State, Michigan State, ULL and Memphis.
11. WR Amorion Walker (6-3, 178, 4.5) Ponchatoula, 200 meters, 400 meters, triple jump. 38″ vertical, 10.8 hundred meters. Explosive first step,, separation, concentration, catches away from body. Kansas State, West Va., Ole Miss, Ga. Tech, Florida State, LA Tech, Arkansas, Kansas, Memphis, SMU.
12. OLB Javae Gilmore (6-4, 200) Amite, three-star, Great length, super baseball player, brother (Amani) signed with Kentucky 3 seasons ago. LSU gaining interest. Memphis, Kentucky, LSU, Florida State, Ga. Tech, Arkansas, North Texas, Ole Miss, SMU and Mississippi State.
13. OT Bo Bordelon (6-5, 250) Newman transfer from E.D. White. His dad (Ben) was 1996 All-SEC at LSU and played for Chargers. Super footwork, technique sound, could play OG or OT. Newman coach Nelson Stewart calls him one of the more complete OL he has ever had. Colorado, Virginia and Nicholls State.
14. WR Kody Finley (6-5, 188) Ponchatoula, three-star. Brother T.J. is a QB at LSU. Kody excels at basketball and football. Indiana, Kansas, New Mexico, Memphis and Southern.
15. QB Garrett Mmahatt (6-2 1/2, 190) Brother Martin. 4 year starter. Will have started more games at QB than anyone in school history. Good decisions, high IQ, 4.3 GPA, tight window throws, good anticipation on throws,, extends plays,, cool under pressure,. Will get stronger and add weight. His father is 6’5″ and pitched for Yankees. State schools, AAC, Sun Belt, Southern Miss, Princeton, Brown, South Alabama.
16. WR Landon Ibieta (6-0, 177) Mandeville, three-star, route runner, physical, good on jet sweeps. vs. Hannan had 5 grabs for 307 yards and 3 touchdowns. Tulane and South Alabama monitoring closely.
17. safety Corey Lambert, Jr. (6-1, 183) Brother Martin, very athletic, ball awareness, good character. Austin Peay, Memphis, Troy, Princeton, Florida Atlantic and Southern Miss.
18. DT Durell “Tiger” Daigre (6-2, 318) East St. John, three-star Bench presses 365 pounds Nicholls State, South Alabama
19. ATH Buddy Taylor (5-11, 160, 4.5) John Curtis. Plays QB but could be WR/DB in college. Explosive speed, basketball. Great upside. SWAC, SLC, state schools.
20. DB Michael Newton (5-9, 181) Shaw, 3.1 GPA, played in 5 games in ’20 with torn meniscus, instinctive, very physical, makes plays, quick reactions,, attacks ball, Had 2 interceptions, 4 FF and 2 sacks this year. Can play OLB/ SS/ nickel. Nicholls and SLU very interested.
21. OG Dontrell Wilright (6-3, 250) Destrehan, 3.8 GPA, may play OG, Wants to dominate, nasty, pancake blocks, 2nd level, good pad level. SWAC, SLC
22. ATH Arthur Oliver (5-10, 170) East Jefferson, QB/WR had 8 total touchdowns including 7 passing and one running vs. Grace King. State schools, SWAC, SLC
23. QB Steven Banford (6-3, 205, 4.6) Shaw transfer from Warren Easton where he backed up Lance LeGendre as freshman. Cannon for an arm, can hit receiver 65 yards downfield, good feet, sometimes throws too hard on short patterns,, very emotional, processes well. Doctors say he could grow to 6’5″. SLU, Nicholls, Sun Belt and CUSA.
24. WR Calvin Bullock (6-4, 175) Destrehan, could be steal. Catches 50/50 balls., good catching radius, Comes from a long line of outstanding WR’s from Destrehan. Good separation in routes. SWAC, Sun Belt, CUSA, SLC
25. WR Kylon “Wildcat” Harris (6-0, 165) East St. John, fine route runner, tracks balls well, makes contested catches. SLC, SWAC, state schools.
26. ATH Cole Milford (5-11, 175, 4.6) De La Salle. 3 year starter at QB. A leader. Super work ethic. Learned on job. Could play QB/WR/DB. In 2020, he had 1,029 yards passing, 15 touchdowns, no interceptions (68%), ran for seven scores. SLC, state schools
27. QB Grant Billson (6-2, 200) St. Paul’s. Academic All State 4.11 GPA. Threw for 1,584 yards and 8 TD’s this season. 3 year starter, football IQ, pocket presence, good decisions, checks down. SLC, state, Ivy League schools.
28. WR Zavion Thomas (5-11, 183, 4.5) John Ehret, high points balls in flight, good blocker, shifty. Sun Belt, SLC, SWAC, state schools.
29. OG Donald Fleming (6-0, 290) Lutcher, squats 510 pounds, powerful leg drive, pancake blocks, gets under pads,good balance, grades high as blocker. SLC, SWAC, Sun Belt.
30. Athlete Zack Vicknair (5-11, 180) St. Charles Catholic, (2020) 10 rushing TD’s (6.2 yard average), 6 TD passes, leading Comets to state championship game. Tough, leader, football IQ, makes plays that change complexion of game, could be QB, safety, WR in college. SLC, state schools.
31. OLB Tory Morgan (5-11, 204) Ehret, squats 425 pounds good tackler in space, can run, diagnose quickly, leader of defense. state schools, SWAC.
32. Athlete Marquell Bergeron (5-11, 170, 4.52) St. James, QB for Wildcats, 315 pounds in squat, receiver in college, smart, (2020) 1,200 yards passing, 211 yards rushing. SWAC, SLC.
33. CB Josh Smallwood (6-0, 167) Shaw, full speed in 2nd step. Power clean 260 pounds. Has all the tools, could move up charts. SLC, SWAC.
34. NT Ty Cooper (5-10, 250) Lutcher, All-District. Squats 425 pounds dead lifts 425 pounds. Aggressive, work ethic, good motor, leverage, gets off block quickly. SLC, SWAC.
35. WR Austin Jackson IV (5-9, 175) Brother Martin, good hands, uses body to protect ball, gets most out of ability, concentration. SLC, SWAC, state schools.
36. RB Daniel Jupiter (5-10, 185, 4.54) St. James, 11.7 hundred meters. glides, good vision, cut back runner, elusive in space. SLC, SWAC.
37. DT Corey Robinson (5-11, 230) Salmen, tough to block, low center of gravity. SLC, SWAC.
38. WR Troy Kendrick (6-2, 172) Hahnville, All District. Makes tough catch, crossing patterns, very crafty. SWAC, SLC.
39. RB Douglas McGowan (5-9, 170, 4.55) Mandeville, vision, N/S runner. receiver out of backfield. vs. Slidell had 38 carries for 237 yards and 2 scores. SLC and SWAC interest.
40. OLB/DE Kourouth Wilson (6-1, 225) Ehret, uses hands well, can run, will chase play, SLC and SWAC interest.
- < PREV Bucs bounce mistake-riddled Saints from playoffs
- NEXT > Pelicans sink free throws late to hold off Kings
Born and raised in the New Orleans area, Rene Nadeau has been involved in sports ever since his earliest memories. Rene played basketball, wrestled, ran track, and was an All-District running back in football at John F. Kennedy High School. He went on to be a member of the LSU football program, developing a passion for the game in even…