Quick strikes send No. 8 Ragin’ Cajuns to victory in senior weekend opener
LAFAYETTE – Three innings into the contest and No. 8 Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns Softball had all the runs necessary in a 5-2 win over Coastal Carolina on Friday in the opening game of Senior Weekend at Yvette Girouard Field at Lamson Park.
The offensive production was built with a two-run single from Sarah Hudek in the first inning, a run-scoring double by Bailey Curry in the second inning and a two-run double by Lexie Comeaux in the third inning.
Louisiana’s lead was protected by Summer Ellyson who reached double digits in strikeouts for the third time in her last six starts. Ellyson, who fanned 12 Chanticleers in the contest, carried a shutout into the seventh inning and secured the win after the visitors plated a pair of unearned runs off of reliever Alison Deville.
The win was the 21st consecutive for Louisiana (44-4, 22-0 Sun Belt), a streak which dates back to March 22.
LEADING THE RAGIN’ CAJUNS
Hudek’s hit in the first inning extended her hitting streak to 12 games, tying Alissa Dalton for the longest streak this season. It also gave Louisiana run production in the first inning for the 24th time.
Casidy Chaumont picked up her seventh stolen base of the season to set up Curry’s RBI double which increased the lead to 3-0 and wound up being the game-winning tally.
Raina O’Neal finished 2-for-3 at the plate for her third multiple-hit game in the past six outings. She scored Louisiana’s final run of the game on Comeaux’s double in the third inning.
The two-run double by Comeaux increased her season RBI total to 40, marking the second time in her career (and first time since 2017) that she’s reached the mark.
Keeli Milligan collected her 55th stolen base of the season after leading off the game with a single. She tied Olivia Watkins of WKU for the Sun Belt Conference single-season record.
• Summer Ellyson increased her nation-leading win total to 31. She is now one win shy of moving into a tie for fourth place on the single-season charts (32 by Jordan Wallace in 2013; Ashley Brignac in 2011).
• Kelli Milligan set her career-high for stolen bases in a season. The 55 this season surpass her previous best of 54 recorded at Texas A&M as a freshman in 2016.
• Lexie Comeaux joined Julie Rawls as Ragin’ Cajuns with 40 RBI this season.
• Sarah Hudek’s run production pushes her season figure to 38, leaving her two shy of joining Comeaux and Rawls in reaching 40 RBI.
• During her 12-game hitting streak, Sarah Hudek is batting .447 (17-for-38) and has generated 12 RBI.
• Summer Ellyson increased her season strikeout total to 275, moving her within 25 strikeouts of reaching 300 for the first time in her career.
• Keeli Milligan’s leadoff single was her 50th base hit of the season. She is the third Ragin’ Cajun to reach the mark (joining Alissa Dalton and Sarah Hudek).
• Louisiana remained unbeaten at Lamson Park against Coastal Carolina and increased its all-time series advantage to 6-1.
No. 8 Louisiana and Coastal Carolina return to Yvette Girouard Field at Lamson Park to continue the series on Saturday with first pitch set for 2 p.m.
Fans can view the action online at RaginCajuns.com/Watch or listen locally via Sports Radio ESPN 1420-AM and worldwide on the ESPN 1420 app.
FOLLOW THE RAGIN’ CAJUNS
Follow the Ragin’ Cajuns on Facebook (/RaginCajunsSB), Twitter (@RaginCajunsSB) and Instagram (@Louisiana.SB) to stay up-to-date on all that is happening with Louisiana Softball.
- < PREV Baseball - ACU scores eight, two-out runs in 9-3 win over McNeese
- NEXT > Prograis predicts knockout of Relikh in semifinal bout