No. 9 Ragin’ Cajuns down South Alabama for third Sun Belt sweep in as many weekends
MOBILE, Ala. – Summer Ellyson crafted a no-hitter and the offense produced double digits in both runs and hits for the third time in the series as No. 9 Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns Softball completed the sweep of South Alabama with a 14-0 (6 inn.) triumph.
Louisiana (26-4, 9-0 Sun Belt), which saw five different players record multiple RBI, piled up multiple runs three times over the final four innings to run away from a one-run contest after two complete.
Raina O’Neal’s two-run home run in the third inning began Louisiana’s march to the finish and sparked a four-spot that increased the lead to 5-0. The exclamation point came in the sixth inning when the Ragin’ Cajuns sent 12 batters to the plate and pushed across seven runs which led to the final margin.
Ellyson struck out the side in the first inning and never looked back in totaling 12 strikeouts which marked her fourth double-digit total in the past two weeks. The no-hitter was the third of her career and first since the 2018 SBC Tournament semifinal contest vs. Texas State.
Louisiana launched three more home runs, concluding the series with 10 total. It marked the ninth game of multiple home runs in the past 12 games.
For the second straight visit the Ragin’ Cajuns captured a sweep of the SBC series from South Alabama (11-18, 1-8 Sun Belt), and also handed the Jaguars the worst home defeat in program history.
LEADING THE RAGIN’ CAJUNS
Casidy Chaumont netted her season-high of three RBI, bringing home a run in each of her first three plate appearances. She delivered a two-out, RBI double in the second inning to end an early scoreless tie.
Bailey Curry, who homered for the third straight game, tied Chaumont for game-high RBI honors. The production gave her series-high honors with seven RBI.
Kourtney Gremillion led off the seven-run sixth inning with a solo home run, the first of two runs she drove in during the frame (bases-loaded walk).
Alissa Dalton went 2-for-2 at the plate with two runs scored, two walks and two RBI. Dalton collected her third multiple-hit game of the series.
Ellyson (18-4, 1.40 ERA, 153 K) tallied multiple strikeouts all but one inning and faced only one over the minimum in notching her nation-leading tying 18th victory of the season.
• Louisiana extended its series-best winning streak over South Alabama to 12 games. The Ragin’ Cajuns have won every matchup dating back to the 2016 season.
• During the current 12-game stretch in which Louisiana has produced multiple home runs nine times, which began in the Texas State series opener, the Ragin’ Cajuns have generated 25 home runs.
• Louisiana totaled 36 runs and 38 hits in the weekend series in Mobile. The Ragin’ Cajuns finished with a .442 average and .837 slugging percentage against Jaguars pitching.
• Louisiana sported a balanced attack vs. USA, with 10 different players posting multiple hits, eight different players with multiple RBI and seven individuals hitting at least one home run.
• Dating back to last Sunday vs. Troy, Bailey Curry has homered in four of the past five games.
• With the five extra base hits the Ragin’ Cajuns increased their season extra base hits total to 103, which surpasses the 98 collected the entire 2018 season (57 games played).
• Louisiana’s offense produced five-plus runs for the 20th time and surpassed 10 for the eighth time. The pitching staff limited the opposition to two runs or less for the 22nd time.
FOLLOW THE RAGIN’ CAJUNS
Follow the Ragin’ Cajuns on Facebook (/RaginCajunsSB), Twitter (@RaginCajunsSB) and Instagram (@Louisiana.SB) to stay up-to-date on all that is happening with Louisiana Softball.
SEASON TICKETS AVAILABLE
• Season tickets, beginning at $100, are available online at RaginCajuns.com using Account Manager, by calling the Louisiana Athletics Ticket Office at (337) 265-2170 or by visiting the ticket office in person Monday-Friday from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., and extended hours during Ragin’ Cajuns basketball events.
• Fans who purchase season tickets receive priority access for any potential NCAA postseason games held at Lamson Park.
• For information on premium seating and parking at Lamson Park, contact the Ragin’ Cajuns Athletic Foundation (RCAF) at (337) 851-2903. General admission parking at Cajun Field will be free for all games during the 2019 season.
- < PREV LA Tech clinches series with Sunday triumph over Middle Tennessee
- NEXT > Tulane names Ron Hunter Men’s Basketball Head Coach