No. 8 Ragin’ Cajuns follow lead of Ellyson and Rawls to win in Ruston
Louisiana gathers runs in bunches beginning in second at bat to pull away from Louisiana Tech
RUSTON – No. 8 Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns Softball extended its winning streak to 20 games and Summer Ellyson reached the 30-win mark in a 7-2 win over Louisiana Tech on Wednesday at the Lady Techster Softball Complex.
Julie Rawls drove the offense for Louisiana (43-4) with a game-high three RBI, returning the lead to the Ragin’ Cajuns at 3-2 with a sacrifice fly in the third inning and putting the game out of reach with a two-run single in the fourth inning which completed the scoring.
Ellyson (30-4, 1.09 ERA) tossed four hitless frames at the Lady Techsters (36-13). After the hosts evened the score in the second inning she faced only two batters over the minimum her final four innings in the circle.
Louisiana picked up its 17th consecutive road win and increased its nation-leading total of true road wins to 18.
The contest marked the final non-conference game of the regular season for the Ragin’ Cajuns.
LEADING THE RAGIN’ CAJUNS
Kara Gremillion broke a scoreless tie in the second inning with an opposite-field, two-run home run. Gremillion finished tied with Keeli Milligan with a game-high two runs scored.
Milligan (2-for-4) joined Rawls in posting a multiple-hit game. Her leadoff double in the third inning led to her scoring the winning run on Rawls’ sacrifice fly.
Sarah Hudek extended her hitting streak to 11 games with an RBI single that followed Rawls’ sacrifice fly and upped the lead to 4-2 in the third inning.
Casidy Chaumont executed a squeeze bunt in the fourth inning which allowed Gremillion to score her second run and jumpstart the three-run frame that put the Lady Techsters on their heels.
Raina O’Neal made the defensive play of the night when she robbed Sloan Stewartson of a would-be leadoff home run in the second inning – a key play which prevented a momentum shift as the Lady Techsters received a two-run homer later in the frame from Mary Terral.
Ellyson surrendered only two hits to Louisiana Tech and wound up facing four over the minimum. Carrie Boswell worked a scoreless seventh inning which included inducing a 5-4-3 double play, the Ragin’ Cajuns’ second twin-killing of the night.
• Louisiana made its first appearance in Ruston since opening weekend of the 2008 season.
• The Ragin’ Cajuns 20-game winning streak is tied with Arizona for the second-longest active streak in the nation (trailing only Oklahoma’s 31-game run).
• Summer Ellyson becomes the first Ragin’ Cajun since Jordan Wallace in 2013 to claim 30 wins in a season.
• Summer Ellyson joins the likes of Brooke Mitchell, Melissa Coronado, Cheryl Longeway, Ashley Brignac, Brittany Cuevas and Jordan Wallace as individuals to capture 30 wins in a season in program history.
• Julie Rawls’ run production increased her season RBI total to 49, moving her within one of becoming the first Ragin’ Cajun this season to reach 50 RBI.
• Sarah Hudek’s 11-game hitting streak is one game shy of tying Alissa Dalton (12 games from March 16-April 6) for the team’s longest this season.
• Kara Gremillion’s home run marked her 14th extra base hit of the season (10 doubles, 1 triple, 3 home runs), establishing a new personal single-season high for the senior third baseman (previous was 13 in 2017).
• Louisiana extended its win streak over Louisiana Tech to 27 games. The streak began with a 12-1 win in the second game of an April 25, 1999 doubleheader in Ruston.
The Ragin’ Cajuns return home to Yvette Girouard Field at Lamson Park April 26-28 for a Sun Belt Conference series with Coastal Carolina and to celebrate Senior Weekend.
- < PREV Baseball: Pitching, defense lifts Colonels to 3-0 win over LSUA
- NEXT > LA Tech fall to late McNeese rally, 5-3