Nicholls Game Notes: Colonels host rival Lions in first of two regular season meetings
SATURDAY, OCT. 9 AT 12 P.M.
JOHN L. GUIDRY STADIUM – THIBODAUX, LOUISIANA
– No. 25/RV Nicholls hosts No. 14/14 Southeastern to close out its three-game home stand. It marks the third consecutive meeting that both teams have been ranked.
– The game WILL NOT be part of the River Bell Classic. The trophy will remain in Hammond and be up for grabs in the Nov. 18 game at Strawberry Stadium.
– The all-time series is knotted a 15-15. Nicholls is 3-3 under Tim Rebowe, winning on a last-second field goal in 2015, a 44-0 shutout in 2018, and by one point in 2019. The ’18 and ’19 victories secured the Southland Conference title.
– With the exception of the 44-0 win by Nicholls in ’18, the other five previous meetings have been decided by a touchdown or less. The combined margin of victory in the five games is 17 points.
– The Southland Conference currently has three teams ranked in the Stats Perform FCS Top 25 — No. 14 Southeastern, No. 20 UIW, No. 25 Nicholls. Following Saturday’s game against the Lions, the Colonels will head to UIW next weekend. Nicholls plays both teams twice this season.
– With the win over HBU last weekend, head coach Tim Rebowe surpassed the late Sonny Jackson for the career leader in victories with his 40th.
– RB Julien Gums (2,556) needs 103 yards to become the program’s all-time leading rusher (Josh Son, 2,658). In his fourth season, Gums is also third in career touchdown runs with 32, trailing Broderick Cole (33) and Chase Fourcade (35).
- < PREV LSU's recruiting class misses in recent years have added up
- NEXT > Saints Injury Report: Armstead and McCoy still out while Gray limited