Nicholls completes first scrimmage of fall camp
THIBODAUX, La. – After a full week of fall camp, the Nicholls State University football team hosted its first scrimmage Saturday morning at Manning Field at John L. Guidry Stadium.
The team had over 100 plays in a controlled format. The offense found the end zone four times, while Tahj Smith started the scrimmage off with a bang with a 95-yard kick return for a touchdown. The defense was solid overall, recording three sacks and forcing two turnovers
– On Chase Fourcade’s first pass of the scrimmage, Dai’Jean Dixon set the tone early with a 57-yard touchdown catch. His second grab was a 30-yarder for a score, also from Fourcade, and he added 31-yard touchdown from Kohen Granier. Dixon hauled in six receptions for 135 yards and three touchdowns on the day.
– Fourcade completed 8 of 15 passes for 134 yards and two scores. Granier was 4 of 6 for 72 yards while freshmen Andrew Robison had a 20-yard pass and Caleb Lee was 2-for-2 for 22 yards.
– Dontrell Taylor carried the ball five times, rushing for 38 yards. Taylor ended his day with three consecutive 10-yard runs. Freshman John Carrington III had the most action in the backfield, rushing 14 times for 75 yards and a touchdown. The San Antonio native scored from 3 yards out, and also closed out strong with 21- and 19-yard carries on two of his final three carries.
– While Dixon headlined the receivers, Darrion Cook had a leaping catch down the sideline for 32 yards.
– After allowing a touchdown on the opening drive, the defense recorded two sacks and an interception in the next two series. Linebacker Dellary Oubre and lineman Chris Thomas each got to the quarterback before cornerback Darren Evans jumped a slant for an interception and returned it 14 yards to end the drive. Thomas also had another sack later in the scrimmage.
– Freshman Jarius Monroe broke up a would-be touchdown pass. The rookie had two breakups and a tackle on the day. Jordan Jackson and Kevin Moore III tallied breakups for the secondary.
– Redshirt freshman linebacker Aaron Buckwalter led all players with nine tackles. Laryon James finished with five stops for the defense.
– The Colonel defense stuffed a rush a yard behind scrimmage on a 3rd-and-2, and Allen Pittman stripped the ball and recovered it for the second turnover of the day.
– Along with Smith’s 95-yarder to open the kickoff drill, two freshmen returned kicks to midfield – KJ Franklin and Jordan Jackson.
– Transfer Gunnar Jones made 2 of 5 field goals and Gavin Lasseigne was 2 of 2. Matthew Martin connected on 1 of 3 while Alec Bland was 0-for-2.
FALL CAMP SCHEDULE
Monday, Aug. 12, Practice No. 10 (Full Pads), 8:30 a.m.
Tuesday, Aug. 13, Practice No. 11 (Shells), 8:30 a.m.
Wednesday, Aug. 14, Practice No. 12 (Full Pads), 8:30 a.m.
Thursday, Aug. 15, Practice No. 13 (Shells), 8:30 a.m.
Friday, Aug. 16, Practice No. 14 (Helmets), 8:30 a.m.
Saturday, Aug. 17, SCRIMMAGE and FAN DAY (Practice No. 15), 7 p.m. at Guidry Stadium
Season tickets for Nicholls football are available by visiting geauxcolonels.com or calling the Nicholls Ticket Office at 985-448-4790. The home opener is scheduled for Oct. 5 against Central Arkansas and the season opener is slated for Aug. 31 at Kansas State.
- < PREV First preseason scrimmage shows good things in all three phases for Demons
- NEXT > Tulane running backs look to make strong impact in 2019