NFL conference players of the week
LIONS WR AMON-RA ST. BROWN, EAGLES CB DARIUS SLAY & GIANTS K GRAHAM GANO NAMED NFC PLAYERS OF WEEK 2
Wide receiver AMON-RA ST. BROWN of the Detroit Lions, cornerback DARIUS SLAY of the Philadelphia Eagles and kicker GRAHAM GANO of the New York Giants are the NFC Offensive, Defensive and Special Teams Players of the Week for games played in Week 2 of the 2022 season (September 15, 18-19).
OFFENSE: WR AMON-RA ST. BROWN, DETROIT LIONS
• St. Brown registered nine receptions for 116 yards and two touchdowns while adding two rushing attempts for 68 yards in the Lions’ Week 2 win over Washington. St. Brown’s 184 scrimmage yards led all NFC players in Week 2 as he became the first player in NFL history to record at least eight receptions and a touchdown in six consecutive games.
• This is the first-career Offensive Player of the Week award for St. Brown and he becomes the sixth Lions wide receiver to earn Offensive Player of the Week honors, joining Pro Football Hall of Famer Calvin Johnson (four times), Herman Moore (twice), Germane Crowell, Richard Johnson and Brett Perriman.
• He is the third former USC wide receiver to win Offensive Player of the Week, joining JuJu Smith-Schuster (Week 8, 2017) and Robert Woods (Week 11, 2020).
DEFENSE: CB DARIUS SLAY, PHILADELPHIA EAGLES
• Slay recorded a career-high five passes defensed along with his first two interceptions of the season in the Eagles’ Week 2 victory against Minnesota. He became the first player since 2019 (Pierre Desir) to record five passes defensed and two interceptions in a single game.
• This is Slay’s fifth-career Defensive Player of the Week award, the most among all defensive backs since 2016. He is the first Eagles defensive back to win a Defensive Player of the Week award in consecutive seasons since Malcolm Jenkins (Week 13, 2015 and Week 16, 2016).
o 2016 (with Detroit): Week 5
o 2017 (with Detroit): Week 15
o 2018 (with Detroit): Week 14
o 2021 (with Philadelphia): Week 10
o 2022 (with Philadelphia): Week 2
SPECIAL TEAMS: K GRAHAM GANO, NEW YORK GIANTS
• Gano converted a league-high four field goals, including the game-winning 56-yard field goal with 3:34 remaining in the fourth quarter, and led all kickers in points scored (13) in the Giants’ Week 2 win over Carolina.
• This is Gano’s fifth-career Special Teams Player of the Week award and marks the third-consecutive season in which he has won the award.
o 2010 (with Washington): Week 16
o 2018 (with Carolina): Week 5
o 2020 (with N.Y. Giants): Week 9
o 2021 (with N.Y. Giants): Week 7
o 2022 (with N.Y. Giants): Week 2
• Gano joins Brad Daluiso (four times) as the only Giants kickers to earn Special Teams Player of the Week honors at least three times.
DOLPHINS QB TUA TAGOVAILOA, CHIEFS CB JAYLEN WATSON & JETS P BRADEN MANN NAMED AFC PLAYERS OF WEEK 2
Quarterback TUA TAGOVAILOA of the Miami Dolphins, cornerback JAYLEN WATSON of the Kansas City Chiefs and punter BRADEN MANN of the New York Jets are the AFC Offensive, Defensive and Special Teams Players of the Week for games played in Week 2 of the 2022 season (September 15, 18-19).
OFFENSE: QB TUA TAGOVAILOA, MIAMI DOLPHINS
• Tagovailoa completed 36 of 50 attempts (72 percent) and set career highs in passing yards (469), touchdown passes (six) and passer rating (124.1) in leading the Dolphins from a 21-point fourth-quarter deficit to defeat Baltimore in Week 2. At 24 years and 200 days old, he became the third-youngest player in NFL history with six touchdown passes in a single game.
• This is the first-career Offensive Player of the Week award for Tagovailoa and he is the first Dolphins quarterback to earn the honor since Week 16 of the 2019 season (Ryan Fitzpatrick).
• Tagovailoa joins Jeff Rutledge (Week 9, 1990) as the only former Crimson Tide quarterbacks to earn Offensive Player of the Week.
DEFENSE: CB JAYLEN WATSON, KANSAS CITY CHIEFS
• Watson registered a 99-yard interception return for a touchdown in the fourth quarter of the Chiefs’ Week 2 win over the Los Angeles Chargers, the longest go-ahead fourth-quarter touchdown scored by a rookie in NFL history.
• This is Watson’s first career Defensive Player of the Week award and he joins Marcus Peters (three times) and Mike Hughes as Chiefs cornerbacks to earn the honor in the past 10 seasons.
• Watson is the fourth former Washington State defensive back to earn Defensive Player of the Week honors, joining James Hasty (Week 7, 1999), Marcus Trufant (Week 14, 2007) and Brian Walker (Week 11, 2000).
SPECIAL TEAMS: P BRADEN MANN, NEW YORK JETS
• Mann executed the first successful onside kick of the season with 1:20 remaining as the New York Jets overcame a 13-point deficit inside the final two minutes to defeat Cleveland in Week 2. He also converted a fake punt attempt in the first quarter with a 17-yard completion in addition to four punts, two of which he placed inside the 20-yard line.
• This is Mann’s first-career Special Teams Player of the Week award and he becomes the third Jets punter to earn the honor, joining Ryan Quigley (Week 9, 2015) and Tom Tupa (Week 7, 2001).
• Mann joins Shane Lechler (four times) and Drew Kaser as former Texas A&M punters to earn Special Teams Player of the Week honors.
For more from NFL Communications, visit NFLCommunications.com and follow @NFL345.
- < PREV Volleyball: Morris Jeff wins; Chalmette upsets Belle Chasse, AOL, Dominican, Northlake Christian victorious
- NEXT > In uncharted territory, unbeaten Sophie B. Wright faces Higgins on Thursday night