New Orleans edges Northwestern State in thriller at Southland Tip-Off
.@sthilairederek gets the ESPN treatment 🤩
— #NOLAsTeam⚔️ (@UNOPrivateers) January 8, 2022
KATY, Texas – Derek St. Hilaire went off for a season-best 31 points, which included 25 in the second half, as the New Orleans men’s basketball team pulled off the comeback in a thrilling 80-79 victory over Northwestern State on Saturday afternoon to conclude the Privateers stay at the 2022 Southland Tipoff Tournament.
With the win, UNO won its consolation bracket with back-to-back victories and placed fifth overall in the inaugural conference tournament.
FINAL SCORE: New Orleans – 80, Northwestern State –79
LOCATION: Leonard E. Merrell Center – Katy, Texas
RECORDS: New Orleans 6-8 (0-0 SLC), Northwestern State 4-13 (0-0 SLC)
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
– St. Hilaire went off for a season-best 31 points on 8-of-18 shooting to go along with a 13-16 mark from the charity stripe. He also chipped in a game-high five steals, four rebounds, three assists and a block. The 31-point outburst was the best performance put up by a Southland Conference student-athlete so far this season and was the third 30-plus point game of his career. The Atlanta, Ga. native has now posted eight games with 20 or more points and 12 double-digit games overall. Today’s 13 made free throws set a new career-high for St. Hilaire and ranked as the second-highest total posted by a Southland student-athlete this year.
– Senior Troy Green was all over the floor as he finished with 14 points, five boards, three steals, two assists and a block. The St. Rose, La. native went 7-of-11 from the field as he recorded a new season-high in field goals made.
– Big man Tyson Jackson had another strong game as he posted 10 points (on 5-of-7 shooting) to go with four rebounds, two assists, a steal and a rejection. The Fairburn, Ga. native is now shooting 54.3 percent on the season, tied for the third-best mark in the Southland (as of press time).
– Simeon Kirkland was efficient in 22 minutes of play as he recorded eight points, six boards and two assists. He went 2-of-3 from the field and a perfect 4-of-4 from the charity stripe.
– Kmani Doughty (six points), D’Ante Bell (four) and De’Sean Allen-Eikens (four) combined for the Privateers 14 points off the bench. Bell also set a new career-high as he finished with a team-best seven rebounds in just 12 minutes of play.
– New Orleans recorded its sixth game of the season and second contest in a row in which the team finished at a 50 percent or better clip from the field. UNO is 5-1 in games this year when the team shoots greater than 50 percent.
– The Privateers finished with more points in the paint (46 to 32), points off turnovers (25 to 14) and fast break points (14 to 10).
– Today’s thriller featured eight times that the game was tied and 14 lead changes overall.
- < PREV Ben Franklin downs Northwest, Ponchatoula handles Ellender at Sugar Bowl tourney
- NEXT > Top rated quarterbacks in 2022 Senior Bowl