McNeese Football Fall Camp Preview – Defensive Line
LAKE CHARLES – McNeese wrapped up day four of fall camp Monday morning as the team will take Tuesday off before donning the full pads on Wednesday morning.
2019 McNeese Football Fall Camp Preview: Defensive Line
Returners – Chris Livings (All-SLC), Cody Roscoe, Jonta Jones, Marval Bourgeois, Marcus Foster, Tyrique Gibson, Steven Conerly, Jonathon Hageon, C.J. Semien, Chase Davis, Camron Peterson.
New to the Team – Damien DeGruy (TR), Kaleb Wenson, Earenest Grayson, Logan Sonnier.
This could be the biggest strength of the team with returning starters Chris Livings, Cody Roscoe and Jonta Jones. Add in Marval Bourgeois, Tyrique Gibson, Camron Peterson and CJ Semien, that’s a combined total of 28 tackles for a loss and 14 sacks returning from last season.
Not to mention the return of Marcus Foster, who was injured in the season opener last season and missed the rest of the year.
Damien DeGruy joins the squad as a transfer from Fresno State where he appeared in 16 games – four last season as a sophomore which allowed him to take a redshirt thanks to the new NCAA redshirt rule.
Livings will enter his final season on the cusp of becoming the all-time sacks leader. Currently with 20.5 career sacks, he’s ranked fourth on the school’s career record list and needs 10.5 to match the record set by Bryan Smith from 2004-07. The Lake Charles native has recorded 31 tackles for a loss in his career, ranking just outside the all-time top 10 list.
In 2018, Livings matched a single-season best with eight sacks to go along with 10.5 tackles for a loss. He recorded eight sacks and 14 TFLs as a sophomore in 2016.
Livings tied a single-game record with five sacks against Abilene Christian last year, a mark that was first set by Smith in 2006.
Roscoe is coming off a sophomore season in which he started all 11 games and recorded 4.5 sacks, eight tackles for a loss and 33 total tackles. Jones also started all 11 last year and registered 35 tackles, 3.5 tackles for a loss and a half a sack.
Bourgeois added two TFLs last season in playing eight games, all starts, while missing three games due to injury.
Peterson, Gibson, Semien and Davis combined to record 4.5 tackles for a loss and two sacks as all four are entering their sophomore seasons.
Freshmen Kaleb Wenson, Earenest Grayson and Logan Sonnier will add depth to the position.
Highlights from Monday’s practice included:
• QBs and receiver looked sharp, hitting targets and catching passes in both skell and team periods.
• WR Trevor Begue made a diving catch on a 45-yard pass during skell period.
• Freshman WR Mason Pierce caught a pass on the sideline in stride from Matt Keller that went for about a 70 yard TD.
• DB Calum Foster had an interception in the first skell period.
• CB Colby Richardson had four pass break-ups, Darion Dunn with two and Colby Burton a couple during skell and team periods.
• DE Chris Livings recorded a sack in the first team period.
• RBs Justin Pratt, D’Andre Hicks and J’Cobi Skinner each broke open runs of 20 yards or more before being blown dead.
- < PREV Pelicans announce five-game preseason schedule
- NEXT > Eppler leads deep crop of Demons signal callers