McNeese defeats Southern, 12-5
LAKE CHARLES – Braden Duhon had four hits in four plate appearances to help get McNeese back in the win column with a 12-5 victory over Southern on Tuesday night at Joe Miller Ballpark.
Duhon’s four hits paced the Cowboys 14-hit attack against the Jaguars as McNeese swept the season series and improved to 17-8 overall. Southern fell to 7-16 with the loss.
Josh Leslie and Tré Obregon III each collected three hits while Cooper Hext added a two-hit night.
JT Moeller, the second of seven Cowboy pitchers to see the mound, picked up the win to improve to 1-0 on the season. Moeller threw two scoreless innings and allowed one hit while striking out three. Starter Derrick Cherry threw a perfect first inning with a strikeout.
Southern starter Daren Smith (1-2) took the loss after he gave up three runs in three innings.
Next up, the Cowboys will continue Southland Conference play with a three-game series at HCU beginning Friday at 2 p.m.
• Both Tré Obregon III and Josh Leslie extended their bases reached streak, Obregon to 22 games while Leslie extended his to 17.
• With a second inning single, Obregon extended his hitting streak to 10 straight games.
• Leslie added to his league-leading RBI and doubles total with one of each, giving him 14 doubles and 36 RBIs on the season.
• McNeese stole eight bases on the night, second-most this season.
• The Cowboys’ 14 hits marks the 10th time this season with 10 or more hits in a game.
• With his 4-for-4 game, Braden Diuhon raised his batting average 51 points from .228 to .279.
• McNeese entered the game ranking No. 1 in the SLC with 19 double plays turned… the Cowboys added to that total with two on the night.
• Josh Leslie entered the night ranked No. 1 in the SLC and 40th in the NCAA as the toughest batter to strike out… in 6 ABs, he had three hits, grounded out twice and flew out once… in 106 at-bats on the season, he’s struck out just 8 times.
• Tuesday’s game concluded a 12-game home stand for the Cowboys where they went 9-3… McNeese is now 14-5 at home for the season.
- < PREV Eighth inning homer lifts Delgado to 7-6 win over Nunez
- NEXT > LA Tech run-rules Sacramento State, 14-4