Lakeshore’s Christian Westcott earns New Orleans area September Athlete of the Month honor
NEW ORLEANS – Christian Westcott, senior quarterback for Lakeshore High School, has been selected as the Greater New Orleans Amateur Athlete of the Month for September. Monthly award-winners are chosen in voting by the Greater New Orleans Sports Awards Committee, sponsored by the Allstate Sugar Bowl. Westcott is the first Lakeshore student-athlete to earn the honor, which was established in 1957.
In the month of September, Lakeshore went 4-0, largely due to the performance of Westcott in all three phases of the game. On offense, Westcott completed 55-of-95 passes for 842 yards with 12 touchdowns and he rushed 66 times for 503 yards and 12 more scores. On defense, Westcott had 22 tackles, including 8.5 tackles for loss and 4.5 sacks. He added one interception, broke up two passes, forced two fumbles and had one fumble recovery. As a punter, Westcott averaged 40.2 yards on eight punts. While the Titans blew out three of their September opponents, Westcott was critical in their season-opening 48-41 win over crosstown rival Fontainebleau. The senior passed for 324 yards and two touchdowns, including a 97-yard hook-up, and ran for 123 yards and three more TDs. The Titans other wins came against South Plaquemines (56-16), Northshore (43-0) and Moss Point (53-28).
Westcott was one of five players nominated for the monthly honor. Also nominated were:
• Xavier University women’s tennis star Angela Charles-Alfred registered a 13-1 record in September matches. She won singles and doubles titles at the HBCU National Championships in Atlanta and the doubles title at the ITA NAIA South Regional Championships in New Orleans.
• Collin Guggenheim, the talented option quarterback who’s headed to Army, keyed a perfect 4-0 start to lead John Curtis to the top-ranking in the Nola.com Large Schools Super 10. He passed for 258 yards and ran for 454 yards while accounting for 11 total touchdowns.
• Newman freshman Arch Manning completed 80-of-119 passes for 957 yards and 13 touchdowns with just one interception as he led the Greenies to a perfect 4-0 September and the top ranking in the Nola.com Small Schools Super 10.
• Pearl River High’s Corey Warren led the metro area in rushing for September with 795 yards and 18 touchdowns. He carried the ball just 57 times for an average of 13.9 yards per attempt as he led the Rebels to a perfect 4-0 month.
The Greater New Orleans Sports Awards Committee has been selecting an Amateur Athlete of the Month each month since 1957. The athlete must be a native of the greater New Orleans area or must compete for a team in the metropolitan region in order to be eligible. The 2019-20 monthly award winners will be honored next summer at the Greater New Orleans Sports Hall of Fame Induction and Awards Ceremony, hosted by the Allstate Sugar Bowl.
- < PREV Southeastern fills out 2021 schedule with trip to Nebraska
- NEXT > Crescent City Sports to produce Oct. 26 ACU-Nicholls game for CST