Joe Burrow named AFC Player of the Week
BENGALS QB JOE BURROW, BILLS LB TREMAINE EDMUNDS & COLTS P RIGOBERTO SANCHEZ NAMED AFC PLAYERS OF WEEK 4
Quarterback JOE BURROW of the Cincinnati Bengals, linebacker TREMAINE EDMUNDS of the Buffalo Bills and punter RIGOBERTO SANCHEZ of the Indianapolis Colts are the AFC Offensive, Defensive and Special Teams Players of the Week for games played in Week 4 (September 30, October 3-4).
OFFENSE: QB JOE BURROW, CINCINNATI BENGALS
• Burrow completed 25 of 32 pass attempts (78.1 percent) for 348 yards and two touchdowns with no interceptions for a career-high 132.8 rating in Cincinnati’s 24-21 win over Jacksonville on Thursday Night Football. He had the highest rating among qualified passers in Week 4.
• He completed five of five passes for 68 yards on the final drive of the game to set up the game-winning field goal.
• This is the first-career Offensive Player of the Week award for Burrow and he becomes the first Bengals quarterback to earn the honor since Andy Dalton (Week 14, 2013).
• Burrow joins Matt Flynn (Week 17, 2011) as the only former LSU quarterbacks to win Offensive Player of the Week.
DEFENSE: LB TREMAINE EDMUNDS, BUFFALO BILLS
• Edmunds totaled six tackles and one interception in Buffalo’s 40-0 victory over Houston. He controls the middle of a Bills defense that became the third team since 1990 to record two shutouts in their first four games of a season
• This is the first-career Defensive Player of the Week award for Edmunds and is the first Buffalo linebacker to earn the honor since A.J. Klein (Week 12, 2020).
• Edmunds joins Mike Johnson (Week 8, 1988) as the only former Virginia Tech linebackers to win Defensive Player of the Week.
SPECIAL TEAMS: P RIGOBERTO SANCHEZ, INDIANAPOLIS COLTS
• In Indianapolis’ 27-17 victory over Miami, Sanchez recorded four punts (50.0 average, 46.8 net), with two landing inside the 20-yard line.
• This is the first-career Special Teams Player of the Week award for Sanchez and he joins Pat McAfee (Week 3, 2015 and Week 6, 2014) and Hunter Smith (Week 2, 2005) as the only Indianapolis punters the earn the honor.
• Sanchez becomes the first player from the University of Hawaii to win a Player of the Week award since kick returner Kealoha Pilares (Week 11, 2011).
2021 AFC PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
Wk 1: QB Patrick Mahomes, Kansas City –DE Maxx Crosby, Las Vegas –K Evan McPherson, Cincinnati
Wk 2: RB Derrick Henry, Tennessee — LB Odafe Oweh, Baltimore — K Daniel Carlson, Las Vegas
Wk 3: QB Josh Allen, Buffalo — DE Myles Garrett, Cleveland — K Justin Tucker, Baltimore
Wk 4: QB Joe Burrow, Cincinnati — LB Tremaine Edmunds, Buffalo — P Rigoberto Sanchez, Indianapolis
NEW YORK GIANTS QB DANIEL JONES, COWBOYS CB TREVON DIGGS & WASHINGTON KR DEANDRE CARTER NAMED NFC PLAYERS OF WEEK 4
Quarterback DANIEL JONES of the New York Giants, cornerback TREVON DIGGS of the Dallas Cowboys and kick returner DEANDRE CARTER of the Washington Football Team are the NFC Offensive, Defensive, and Special Teams Players of the Week for games played in Week 4 (September 30, October 3-4).
OFFENSE: QB DANIEL JONES, NEW YORK GIANTS
• In Week 4, the Giants overcame an 11-point fourth-quarter deficit to defeat New Orleans in overtime as Jones completed 28 of 40 pass attempts (70 percent) for a career-high 402 yards with two touchdowns and one interception for a 108.5 rating. It marked the most passing yards of any player in Week 4.
• This is Jones’ second Offensive Player of the Week award:
o 2019: Week 3
o 2021: Week 4
• Jones is the first player from Duke to win any Player of the Week award multiple times and joins Kerry Collins (four-time winner), Eli Manning (four-time winner) and Phil Simms (two-time winner) as the only Giants quarterbacks to win Offensive Player of the Week multiple times.
DEFENSE: CB TREVON DIGGS, DALLAS COWBOYS
• In the Cowboys’ 36-28 win over the Panthers, Diggs recorded four tackles and two interceptions, becoming the fourth player since 1990 and first Cowboy since 1970 with an interception in each of his team’s first four games of a season. No other player had two interceptions in Week 4.
• This is Diggs’ first Defensive Player of the Week award.
• Diggs is the first Cowboys cornerback to earn the honor since Brandon Carr (Week 15, 2012).and the first former Crimson Tide defensive back to win the award since Kareem Jackson (Week 14, 2019).
SPECIAL TEAMS: KR DEANDRE CARTER, WASHINGTON FOOTBALL TEAM
• Carter returned three kickoffs for 152 yards (50.7 average), including a 101-yard kick-return touchdown in Washington’s Week 4 win at Atlanta.
• This is Carter’s first Special Teams Player of the Week award.
• Carter is the first Washington returner to win the award since Steven Sims (Week 12, 2019).
• Carter is the first player from Sacramento State to earn a Player of the Week award.
2021 NFC PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
Wk 1: QB Matthew Stafford, L.A. Rams — LB Chandler Jones, Arizona — P Bradley Pinion, Tampa Bay
Wk 2: QB Kyler Murray, Arizona — S Mike Edwards, Tampa Bay — P Mitch Wishnowsky, San Francisco
Wk 3: QB Matthew Stafford, L.A. Rams — CB Byron Murphy, Arizona — K Mason Crosby, Green Bay
Wk 4: QB Daniel Jones, N.Y. Giants — CB Trevon Diggs, Dallas — KR DeAndre Carter, Washington
- < PREV Derek Stingley, Jr. remains sidelined following foot surgery
- NEXT > UNO's Brady Bennett earns Southland Golfer of the Month honor for second time