GCAC revises league schedules with plan for group play in basketball, volleyball
NEW ORLEANS — The Gulf Coast Athletic Conference has announced revised league schedules featuring group play for the spring 2021 semester: six games per basketball team and 12 matches per volleyball team.
Changes were approved by the GCAC Council of Presidents and the directors of athletics of the seven member schools.
Xavier University of Louisiana’s Convocation Center will play host to GCAC competitions in women’s basketball Jan. 11-14, men’s basketball Feb. 1-3 and volleyball Feb. 19-20. No spectators will be allowed at any of the GCAC regular-season events, home or away, and all competitions will offer live streaming and live statistical updates.
XULA teams will travel for group play in men’s basketball Jan. 11-13 and women’s basketball Feb. 1-3 — both at Talladega (Ala.) — and in volleyball March 12-13 at Rust (Holly Springs, Miss.) and March 26-27 at Tougaloo (Miss.).
The GCAC established a contingency window of Feb. 15-20 for basketball games that are unable to be played during the earlier dates.
The formats, dates and venues of GCAC tournaments in these sports remain unchanged. Edward Waters (Jacksonville, Fla.) will be the site of the final two rounds of basketball tournaments after opening-round games on campus sites, and Talladega will play host to volleyball.
Additional regular-season competitions between GCAC members will not count in the league standings.
XULA non-conference home events during the spring semester will offer limited amounts of spectators to comply with local, state and federal guidelines. Non-conference competitions will be announced via social media (@xulagold on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram) and on the official website of XULA Athletics: xulagold.com.
“Just as we did for our home contests during the fall semester, temperature checks of all entering the Convocation Center, the wearing of masks and social distancing will be mandatory because of the COVID-19 pandemic,” said Jason Horn, XULA assistant vice president for student affairs / director of athletics & recreation. “We had great cooperation from the Xavier community during the fall and expect more of the same during the new semester.”
XULA basketball and volleyball teams played a combined 12 competitions during the fall. Men’s basketball is 2-1, women’s basketball is 2-2, and volleyball is 3-2.
XULA’s GCAC regular-season schedules for each sport — home events in BOLD CAPITAL LETTERS:
• Jan. 11 (Mon.) — Tougaloo at Talladega, Ala., noon
• Jan. 12 (Tue.) — Rust at Talladega, Ala., 2:30 p.m.
• Jan. 13 (Wed.) — Philander Smith at Talladega, Ala., noon
• Feb. 1 (Mon.) — DILLARD, 5 p.m.
• Feb. 2 (Tue.) — TALLADEGA, noon
• Feb. 3 (Wed.) — EDWARD WATERS, 5 p.m.
• Jan. 11 (Mon.) — TOUGALOO, noon
• Jan. 12 (Tue.) — RUST, 2:30 p.m.
• Jan. 13 (Wed.) — PHILANDER SMITH, noon
• Feb. 1 (Mon.) — Dillard at Talladega, Ala., 5 p.m.
• Feb. 2 (Tue.) — at Talladega, noon
• Feb. 3 (Wed.) — Edward Waters at Talladega, Ala., 5 p.m.
• Feb. 19 (Fri.) — TALLADEGA, 2 p.m.
• Feb. 19 (Fri.) — EDWARD WATERS, 6 p.m.
• Feb. 20 (Sat.) — EDWARD WATERS, 1 p.m.
• Feb. 20 (Sat.) — TALLADEGA, 3 p.m.
• March 12 (Fri.) — Philander Smith at Holly Springs, Miss, 4 p.m.
• March 12 (Fri.) — at Rust, 6 p.m.
• March 13 (Sat.) — at Rust, 11 a.m.
• March 13 (Sat.) — Philander Smith at Holly Springs, Miss, 1 p.m.
• March 26 (Fri.) — at Tougaloo, 2 p.m.
• March 26 (Fri.) — Dillard at Tougaloo, Miss., 4 p.m.
• March 27 (Sat.) — Dillard at Tougaloo, Miss., 1 p.m.
• March 27 (Sat.) — at Tougaloo, 3 p.m.
- < PREV LSU starting left guard Ed Ingram announces return for senior season
- NEXT > Basketball: Hahnville stops St. Aug