Fast start carries No. 11 Ragin’ Cajuns past Oregon State
Louisiana Lafayette starts Oklahoma Courtyard Marriott Tournament with run-rule win over 23rd-ranked Beavers
NORMAN, Okla. – The 11th-ranked Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns rode the momentum of a quick start in capturing an 8-0 (5 inn.) victory over No. 23 Oregon State in the opening game of the Oklahoma Courtyard Marriott Tournament.
Louisiana (15-2) ripped three doubles in the first inning which led to three runs and never looked back in coasting to the run-rule triumph over the Beavers (12-3).
The contest marked the first of four with Top 25 ranked foes over the weekend for the Ragin’ Cajuns. Louisiana moved to 2-1 against ranked foes in 2019.
LEADING THE RAGIN’ CAJUNS
Julie Rawls tallied an RBI in each of her three plate appearances, ending the contest 2-for-3 with a double and four RBI.
Sarah Hudek delivered a three-hit effort which included two doubles. It marked the third time in the past six outings that she’s hit multiple doubles.
Keeli Milligan jumpstarted the offense with her double in Louisiana’s second at bat of the contest. It scored Kara Gremillion, who was hit by a pitch, for the initial run.
Summer Ellyson was in control in the circle from start to finish. The junior hurler faced only three over the minimum, allowed only one base hit and did not allow a single Beavers runner to pass second base.
KEY MOMENTS OF THE GAME
• Milligan made OSU pay for its first free base allowed, and ignited an early momentum shift, when her double plated Gremillion who was hit by the game’s first pitch.
• Louisiana’s early strike continued on the next play when an Alissa Dalton grounder was misplayed allowing Milligan to score providing a 2-0 edge only three batters into the game.
• Ellyson needed only six pitches to retire the Beavers in order in the second inning and preserve the momentum.
• After Bailey Curry walked and Hudek doubled in the fifth inning, Rawls put the game out of reach with a single up the middle which plated two runs for a 7-0 edge.
No. 11 Louisiana continues play in the OU Courtyard Marriott Tournament on Friday facing tournament host No. 4 Oklahoma (13-2) at Marita Hynes Field. First pitch is set for approximately 4:30 p.m.
Fans can listen to the action called by Ian Auzenne and Bobby Neveaux on SportsRadio ESPN 1420-AM. A live stream, for purchase, is available at SoonerSports.tv.
FOLLOW THE RAGIN’ CAJUNS
Follow the Ragin’ Cajuns on Facebook (/RaginCajunsSB), Twitter (@RaginCajunsSB) and Instagram (@Louisiana.SB) to stay up-to-date on all that is happening with Louisiana Softball.
SEASON TICKETS AVAILABLE
• Season tickets, beginning at $100, are available online at RaginCajuns.com using Account Manager, by calling the Louisiana Athletics Ticket Office at (337) 265-2170 or by visiting the ticket office in person Monday-Friday from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., and extended hours during Ragin’ Cajuns basketball events.
• Fans who purchase season tickets receive priority access for any potential NCAA postseason games held at Lamson Park.
• For information on premium seating and parking at Lamson Park, contact the Ragin’ Cajuns Athletic Foundation (RCAF) at (337) 851-2903. General admission parking at Cajun Field will be free for all games during the 2019 season.
- < PREV Mondo Duplantis named USTFCCCA South Central Field Athlete of the Year for indoor season
- NEXT > Techsters run rule Toledo, Dartmouth