Ellyson’s Gem paves way for No. 8 Ragin’ Cajuns in opener at ULM
Junior right-hander limits fans 16 in shutout which extends Louisiana’s win streak to 24 games
MONROE – Another dazzling performance by Summer Ellyson was the highlight of the series-opening contest between No. 8 Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns Softball and ULM on Thursday.
One game removed from tossing perfect softball in a relief appearance vs. Coastal Carolina, Ellyson fashioned a one-hit shutout with 16 strikeouts as Louisiana (47-4, 25-0 Sun Belt) defeated ULM 3-0.
The offense produced a season-high five doubles, with the extra bagger serving as the catalyst for the run production. Keeli Milligan’s double led to the game’s first run in the third inning, Lexie Comeaux and Kara Gremillion doubled back-to-back for a two-out tally in the fourth inning and Alissa Dalton provided an insurance run with her double in the seventh.
The lone threat from the Warhawks (11-40, 7-17 Sun Belt) came in a bases-loaded situation in the sixth inning. Ellyson recorded a strikeout to preserve the shutout, and in the process picked up her 300th strikeout of the season reaching the mark for the first time in her career.
Louisiana extended its win streak to 24 games, kept its Sun Belt mark unblemished and collected its 18th consecutive road win.
LEADING THE RAGIN’ CAJUNS
Gremillion and Julie Rawls each tallied two hits in leading Louisiana to nine in the contest.
Jolie Readeaux drew a leadoff walk in the third inning to set the stage for the tiebreaking run after Milligan’s double.
The two-out doubles from Comeaux and Gremillion in the fourth inning were part of a 6-for-12 effort by the Ragin’ Cajuns in two-out situations.
The lone hit surrendered by Ellyson (34-4, 0.98 ERA) was an infield single in the sixth inning. She tallied multiple strikeouts in all but one inning, and struck out the side in three of the final four frames.
• Summer Ellyson increased her nation-leading wins total to 34, tying her with Cheryl Longeway for third place on the program’s single-season charts. She’s now one win away from tying Melissa Coronado (35 wins in 2001) for second place.
• The strikeout total was Summer Ellyson’s 12th double-digit performance of the season and one off her season-high 17 vs. Baylor (March 11).
• With the win Summer Ellyson posted her 20th win in Sun Belt Conference play, becoming the first Ragin’ Cajuns pitcher to reach the mark.
• Kara Gremillion increased her personal-best, single-season extra base hits total to 15 with her double in the fourth inning.
• Alissa Dalton extended her hitting streak to seven games. Dalton, who had a 12-game hit streak from March 16-April 6, has had at least one hit in 39 of 51 games.
• Louisiana moved into a tie with Virginia Tech for the nation’s lead in true road wins at 19. The Ragin’ Cajuns are now 19-2 on the opposition’s home turf.
• The Ragin’ Cajuns extended their series win streak over ULM, which dates back to the 2012 season, to 22 games. Louisiana now holds a 109-27 all-time series lead (31-5 in SBC regular season play).
The Ragin’ Cajuns and Warhawks return to the ULM Softball Complex on Friday and resume the series with a 6 p.m. matchup. Fans can view the action at ULMWarhawks.com/Watch and listen on SportsRadio ESPN 1420-AM and the ESPN 1420 app.
FOLLOW THE RAGIN’ CAJUNS
Follow the Ragin’ Cajuns on Facebook (/RaginCajunsSB), Twitter (@RaginCajunsSB) and Instagram (@Louisiana.SB) to stay up-to-date on all that is happening with Louisiana Softball.
- < PREV Baseball Playoff Report: 10 area teams in action Friday
- NEXT > Hudson, Redbirds roll over Baby Cakes