Cajuns break through in fifth, down Nicholls 8-0
No. 10 Louisiana Softball dominates final three innings of midweek contest at Nicholls
THIBODAUX – The 10th-ranked Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns Softball team extended its winning streak to five games on Wednesday after capturing an 8-0 win over Nicholls at the Colonel Softball Complex.
Summer Ellyson matched Nicholls’ Megan Landry in the circle the first four innings of a pitcher’s duel, then Kourtney Gremillion ignited a late push with an RBI triple in the fifth inning for the first of eight runs Louisiana (20-3) would score in its final three at bats.
The Ragin’ Cajuns won for the fourth consecutive time in a road outing, moving to 8-3 away from Lamson Park. The shutout was the pitching staff’s eighth of the season and first since March 1 vs. Oregon State.
LEADING THE RAGIN’ CAJUNS
Ellyson turned in double digit strikeouts for the second straight outing, following up her season-high 17 vs. Baylor on Monday with an additional 11 against the Colonels. She did not issue a walk and faced only three over the minimum.
Louisiana received five RBI, and both of its home runs, from the Nos. 2-3 spot in the batting order. Kara Gremillion had a game-high three RBI with her blast which capped off the scoring. Julie Rawls’ two-run shot in the sixth inning upped the lead to 4-0 and knocked Landry out of the contest.
Alissa Dalton joined Kara Gremillion in scoring a team-best two runs. Dalton scored the game’s initial run on Kourtney Gremillion’s triple.
Rawls followed up a three-hit effort vs. Baylor with a 2-for-4 outing for her team-leading eighth multiple-hit game.
Raina O’Neal’s RBI single in the fifth inning extended her current hitting streak to six games.
KEY MOMENTS OF THE GAME
• A scoreless battle came to an end with a sequence of three consecutive one-out hits for Louisiana in the fifth inning. Dalton singled, then runs scored off Kourtney Gremillion’s triple and subsequent single by O’Neal.
• After being given the lead by her offense, Ellyson struck out the side in the fifth inning.
• Rawls delivered the key blow in the next half inning as she launched a two-run home run off of Landry to extend the lead to 4-0 and bring the Colonels’ ace pitcher’s night to a close.
• Lexie Comeaux’s pinch-hit, two-out single in the seventh inning led to Louisiana putting the game out of reach. Two batters later Kara Gremilion lifted her three-run home run over the wall in left center.
• Summer Ellyson has piled up 28 strikeouts over 13 innings pitched the last two outings.
• Now with 14 victories, Summer Ellyson ranks second nationally in the category.
• Kourtney Gremillion posted at least one RBI for the fourth straight game. She has generated seven RBI during the stretch.
• Keeli Milligan’s steal in the seventh inning was her 30th in as many tries this season. She’s on pace to challenge the single-season record 51 set by Dorsey Steamer in 1992.
• Julie Rawls has raised her average 80 points since March 1. Now hitting a team-best .431 for the season, Rawls is batting .643 (9-for-14) with eight RBI since the start of the month.
No. 10 Louisiana is back at Lamson Park Friday-Sunday, March 15-17 for the Sun Belt home opening series, and Alumni Reunion Weekend, hosting Troy.
The Ragin’ Cajuns and Trojans kick off the series at 6 p.m. on Friday in an ESPN+ broadcast.
FOLLOW THE RAGIN’ CAJUNS
Follow the Ragin’ Cajuns on Facebook (/RaginCajunsSB), Twitter (@RaginCajunsSB) and Instagram (@Louisiana.SB) to stay up-to-date on all that is happening with Louisiana Softball.
SEASON TICKETS AVAILABLE
• Season tickets, beginning at $100, are available online at RaginCajuns.com using Account Manager, by calling the Louisiana Athletics Ticket Office at (337) 265-2170 or by visiting the ticket office in person Monday-Friday from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., and extended hours during Ragin’ Cajuns basketball events.
• Fans who purchase season tickets receive priority access for any potential NCAA postseason games held at Lamson Park.
• For information on premium seating and parking at Lamson Park, contact the Ragin’ Cajuns Athletic Foundation (RCAF) at (337) 851-2903. General admission parking at Cajun Field will be free for all games during the 2019 season.
- < PREV LA Tech slips past FAU into C-USA Tournament Quarterfinals
- NEXT > Lions to face Central Arkansas in Southland Tournament Quarterfinals