Big numbers drive Ragin’ Cajuns softball in sweep of Sam Houston State
@RaginCajunsSB tallies multiple runs in six of eight trips to the plate
LAFAYETTE – No. 7 Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns Softball scored in bunches in both ends of a doubleheader with Sam Houston State on Wednesday at Yvette Girouard Field at Lamson Park, claiming 19-0 and 15-0 wins in five innings.
It was a 13-run third inning which allowed the Ragin’ Cajuns (18-6) to bury the BearKats (9-17) and break free from a 4-0 contest in Game 1. Freshman Taylor Roman’s first collegiate grand slam and a bases-clearing triple from Melissa Mayeux were the big hits in the inning.
Summer Ellyson and Casey Dixon combined for the two-hit shutout. Ellyson worked four innings and faced only two batters over the minimum.
In the nightcap, Louisiana plated at least four runs each inning from the second through the fourth to pull away after a scoreless first inning.
Mayeux added seven more RBI to her day’s total by driving in multiple runs in each of the big innings. She had a three-run home run in the second inning to increase the lead to 4-0, added a two-run single in the third inning and finished with a two-run home run in the fourth inning.
Megan Kleist was a hit batter away – which came with two outs in the BearKats’ final at bat – from a perfect game. Kleist fanned six SHSU batters and only two of the 15 outs recorded left the infield.
With the sweep the Ragin’ Cajuns stretched their home winning streak to seven games.
• The doubleheader marked the start of a five-game homestand for Louisiana which continues this weekend with the Sun Belt home opening series vs. Appalachian State.
• Melissa Mayeux totaled 10 RBI in the doubleheader, one more than her season total entering the day. Mayeux finished 4-for-6 at the plate, with three extra base hits (1 triple, 2 home runs).
• Nine different Ragin’ Cajuns posted multiple hits over the course of the evening, led by four apiece from Melissa Mayeux and Raina O’Neal.
• Louisiana piled up 27 hits as a team on the day, and posted a collective .529 average. The squad hit three home runs in each game, tying the season-high amount posted vs. Lamar back on Feb. 11.
• Pitchers Summer Ellyson, Megan Kleist and Casey Dixon combined to limit SHSU to just two hits over 10 innings. Only once did a BearKats runner advance to second base.
• The no-hitter tossed by Megan Kleist was the second for the Ragin’ Cajuns pitching staff this season, adding to the perfect game thrown by Summer Ellyson on Feb. 11 vs. Lamar.
• The pitching staff collected its fifth and sixth shutouts of the season. Louisiana has now blanked the opposition in three of the last four games.
• For the third straight contest, the Ragin’ Cajuns recorded a run-rule victory. Dating back to last Sunday at Coastal Carolina, the squad has outscored foes 44-2.
• Louisiana and Sam Houston State met for the first time since a March 2014 doubleheader at Lamson Park.
• The Ragin’ Cajuns improved to 19-1 vs. SHSU at Lamson Park, and upped their all-time series lead to 21-9.
No. 7 Louisiana welcomes Appalachian State (13-9, 1-2 Sun Belt) to Yvette Girouard Field at Lamson Park for a three-game Sun Belt Conference series Friday-Sunday, March 13-15. The program will be celebrating Alumni Weekend during the series with the Mountaineers.
The series opener is set for 6 p.m. on Friday live on ESPN+, and will be followed by a 2 p.m. contest on Saturday and Noon matchup on Sunday.
- < PREV Pelicans-Kings game postponed as NBA suspends season
- NEXT > Tulane University Athletics announces CoronaVirus precautions