XULA to host Women in Sports Forum Feb. 2
NEW ORLEANS — An accomplished group of women leaders from the sports industry will be featured Feb. 2 at Xavier University of Louisiana during the 2018 Women in Sports Forum.
The event — a dynamic program of keynotes, panel and roundtable discussions — is designed to empower young girls and women who are interested in pursuing a career in the sports industry.
XULA’s Convocation Center Annex (7800 Washington Ave., New Orleans LA 70125) will be the forum venue. Event hours will be 9 a.m.-2 p.m. and will include lunch. Registration is free for high school and XULA students, $30 for college students and $50 for everyone else. Registration is available online at www.wisfnola.eventbrite.com or on the day of the forum.
“I am committed to creating an easily accessible space for young women to learn from the leaders in the sport industry,” said XULA Associate Director of Athletics/Senior Woman Administrator Dr. Ashley Baker, the forum founder. “The Women in Sports Forum is something I would have loved to have attended when I was younger. So I created it.
“Our forum theme this year is ‘community over competition.’ For women in a male-dominated industry, it is important for us to work together, support one another and help prepare the next generation of young women who want to do what we do.”
Said XULA Director of Athletics & Reccreation Jason Horn, “The inaugural 2016 event was a solid success, and our campus is honored that Dr. Baker asked Xavier to sponsor and host the 2018 event. Throughout my career in athletics, I have always been a proponent of professional and personal growth of careers in sports. The Xavier community is excited to host the Women in Sports forum in 2018.”
Forum speakers will be:
• Dr. Kiki Baker-Barnes, Dillard University director of athletics
• Dr. Natasha Brison, Texas A&M University assistant professor of sport management
• Kirsten Elleby, University of New Orleans assistant athletics director for student-athlete enrichment and senior woman administrator
• Dr. Courtney Flowers, Texas Southern University assistant professor
• Shirelle Jackson, University of Miami senior associate athletic director for student-athlete development
• Monica Lebron, Tulane University deputy athletics director
• Dr. Becca Leopkey, University of Georgia assistant professor
• Dr. Joyce Olushola Ogunrinde, University of Houston assistant professor
• Courtnie Prather, Loyola University of New Orleans assistant director of athletics
• Breanna Robinson, Miami University assistant director of student-athlete academic support
• Dr. F. Michelle Richardson, Alabama A&M University assistant professor
• Shana Renee Stephenson, THE MAJORS
This year’s forum will be held in conjunction with the 32nd annual National Girls and Women in Sports Day, which celebrates the extraordinary achievements of women and girls in sports.
Baker hosted her first Woman in Sports Forum in April 2016 in Detroit with more than 150 young women in attendance. ESPN’s Jemele Hill was the 2016 keynote speaker. Baker plans to expand the event to reach more young women.
2018 Women in Sports Forum New Orleans
Theme: Community Over Competition
Date: February 2, 2018
Time: 9 a.m.-2 p.m.
Location: Xavier University of Louisiana Convocation Center Annex, 7800 Washington Ave., New Orleans LA 70125
Presented by/Hosted by: Ash B Consulting
Event Social Media Hashtag: #WISFNOLA
Registration: Free for high school and XULA students, $30 for college students, $50 for everyone else
Registration Link: www.wisfnola.eventbrite.com
For More Information: firstname.lastname@example.org
- < PREVLions rally from 16 down at Lamar to stay undefeated in Southland
- NEXT >Thibodeaux scores career-high 24 Wednesday at SFA in 78-68 UNO defeat